Clutch Release Bearing

Hi Guys

At the moment I have got the body off, and having the chassis repaired and strengthened.

While I have engine and gearbox out and separate. Looking at improving the clutch release mechanism.

Has anybody got experience of direct acting angular release hydraulic cylinder.

I can see 2 of the regular suppliers offer such a system, at considerable cost.

Regards  JohnR

Edited by JohnRoberts

We are right now working on that project. Will fit three TR6

with these system.

Expect less pedal forces due to less friction and

do not see leaking problems. All modern cars use that

and they last more than ten years.

Hi All

As with all of these upgrades there can be good and bad.

Modern equipment in modern cars is way more reliable that most things on our cars and can bring benefits. But its all to do with the quality of the engineering concept, parts and execution when fitting modern parts or systems to old cars.

A modern concentric release bearing including the hydraulic slave cylinder in the bell housing is neater more space efficient and lighter and smoother.

Just not automatically better, just ask the owners of many a Rover 75, MG Zt, or Freelander where premature failure is not uncommon due to poor parts quality, poor fitting and set up.

And of course if there is a problem it is GB out.

So you pay's your money and makes your choice.

Just enjoy the TR with all its foibles and downsides.

Cheers

Keith

Hi John,

I have had a Tilton annular clutch kit on my 6 for about 9 years now. Works well, and in conjunction with a Laycock cover gives a light feel. Supplied by Racetorations and fitted it myself. There was some measuring up to do in order to arrive at the correct dimension to machine the pedestal to, but nothing that a competent home mechanic can't do.

At the time they were under 400 quid, but I think they're a lot dearer now.

Cheers,

Deryck

Hi John,

the concentric slave cy is very tempting and I've considered one on the 4A, but!!

The original set up is pretty good.  Support the taper pin with another bolt/pin Double up on the bushes, Fit a decent bearing and carrier and it should last many years. 

If you are concerned with a heavy pedal consider a servo as per the brakes.

Roger

Hi John,

when you say you want it smoother - does it judder or snatch when you lift the peddle up?

If that is the case then you may well have an alignment problem. 

The GB case should be doweled to the back of the engine to ensure good alignment. (two special bolts required on the TR6)

many people say that the Phozzy bearing carrier is better than steel. I also thought that. But I have found this is not necessarily true.

I was getting clutch judder (lifting the peddle) with a Phozzy carrier. When I sorted the alignment I went over to a very nice TRShop steel carrier and it works very nicely indeed.

Roger

Always up for an upgrade but the standard system seems pretty good if you sort the fulcrum pin issue.  One observation however was that getting a clutch kit from Trgb seemed to reduce the effort somewhat. It is actually lighter than my modern and still handles the torque from the supercharger.  My sister managed it happily for the whole of the rbrr. 

Tim

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

when you say you want it smoother - does it judder or snatch when you lift the peddle up?

If that is the case then you may well have an alignment problem. 

The GB case should be doweled to the back of the engine to ensure good alignment. (two special bolts required on the TR6)

many people say that the Phozzy bearing carrier is better than steel. I also thought that. But I have found this is not necessarily true.

I was getting clutch judder (lifting the peddle) with a Phozzy carrier. When I sorted the alignment I went over to a very nice TRShop steel carrier and it works very nicely indeed.

Roger

Roger, are you certain you did not have  a  Moss special made from brass? Do they know the difference yet? As they seemed very puzzled when I rejected their's

Bruce.

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Bruce,

I've had two of their soft brass carriers. They had me puzzled when the spigots on  the fork would dig in rather quickly.

The TRShop steel carrier is perfect - honest.

Roger

I hope that you have now sorted this material problem out with them. They need to be made out of marine bronze?

Bruce.

If the bearing carrier has a sharp edge, it may stick on the center piece. It is best rounded, you can test it by hand when moving the clutch shaft and tilting the carrier.

Waldi

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Bruce,

good question.  It was mentioned to them but I must admit I have not followed it up.

I understand that Revington do the correct material.

I will look into it early in the new year.

Roger

I am using the Revington one, not cheap, no problems so far after 18 months and 5K miles and plenty of London traffic crawling! Stickie clutch has gone from day one when first used!

Bruce.

Tim,

sorry meant half the RBRR 

tim