Having had my TR5 undersealed at Rustbusters this year, I didn’t check the free movement of the diff relief valve (I know it’s just a split pin) and it was clogged up and this has meant the front seal in the diff is now leaking. It’s not so bad that it stops me using the car, but I want to get this sorted this winter. Firstly I need to know what the seal/gasket code is to order a new one and then any fitting tips from those in the know on this forum. Thanks.

Mike

If the breather is now clear I would run it for a while, I would think that the leak would dry up, or certainly not get any worse.

Doing the seal on the pinion seems to be a bit of a troublesome area.

John

Hi Mike,

I agree with John.  The fact that it leaked wasn't because it is broken. The oil was pressurised.

With the breathing restored all should improve.

Removing that seal insitu can be fun.  There is not a lot of room to work in.

It would be simple on the bench with the pinion out - 10 seconds.  Not so insitu.

Leave it alone.

Roger

Thanks John/Roger. Unfortunately, I have run the car with the breather clear for the last 6 months and it is still leaking (slowly getting worse). I feared changing the seal in situ would be a pain. Was proposing disconnecting drive shaft and removing back box of exhaust to give access. Think I have now found seal on Moss site, part no. 140337. If Diff has to come out I would want to recon it and change the side seals too. Hopefully it can be sorted without taking it out completely.  Cleaned it up today, topped up with oil and went for a 30min blast and photo below is after I got back.

9A002D6F-62F7-44A6-B29C-0CAAD9C41BB5.jpeg

Hi Mike,

somehow drop the front of the diff - you may need to disconnect the drive shafts - support the front of the diff on a crocodile jack.

Remove the pinion flange.

You may be able to get some sort of seal extractor onto the seal. Or drill two small holes into the steel case of the seal and insert self tappers to pull on.

Inserting the new the seal should be easy.

Good luck

Roger