Hardtop hints and tips

10 hours ago, stuart said:

Looking good, have you tried to get the sidescreens to fit yet?

Stuart.

I think they are about 95% Stuart 

a tight fit to the screen stantions but very workable

89FABE17-5673-4BC3-B2AF-73121785F9AB.jpeg

6 hours ago, Deggers said:

Very smart, H. Impressive work. A burgeoning sideline career awaits! 

Deggers

Thanks. 

I need a new career, but the time it’s taken me either clients need to be mega rich or I have an hourly rate in the pennies

Edited by Hamish

The leading edge of the sidescreen i.e. the flap should be a tight fit into the channel up the back of the stanchions that way then you have some chance of them not blowing out as Bob has stated.

Stuart.

As it’s a nice day and I needed pictures for the insurance agreed value I took these that I thought I would share. 

F4BD9C3A-3D6B-48DA-85BC-40814589C2B9.jpeg

A177C474-47BF-4C37-8EDF-0F07854DD872.jpeg

A4CC585A-1FA9-4593-9495-A5B896B278FF.jpeg

B6DBFF65-0C94-4BAA-8BA3-1594FF214CDC.jpeg

584521ED-9335-4D4F-BC39-8CFC6D41FFAB.jpeg

648ACB7D-B8D9-4162-86F7-18566918C1F0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Hamish said:

As it’s a nice day and I needed pictures for the insurance agreed value I took these that I thought I would share. 

F4BD9C3A-3D6B-48DA-85BC-40814589C2B9.jpeg

A177C474-47BF-4C37-8EDF-0F07854DD872.jpeg

A4CC585A-1FA9-4593-9495-A5B896B278FF.jpeg

B6DBFF65-0C94-4BAA-8BA3-1594FF214CDC.jpeg

584521ED-9335-4D4F-BC39-8CFC6D41FFAB.jpeg

648ACB7D-B8D9-4162-86F7-18566918C1F0.jpeg

Nice shots Hamish

My only comment is that your float chambers do not look horizontal/level in the under bonnet shot. 

You are lucky to have such a nice colour contrast.

Peter W

Out of interest, on the top rubber along the top of the screen, do you remove the soft top one, and fit the channel type that is listed for the hardtop.

Hi

i left the top windscreen rubber in place and fitted a broad flat rubber with an edge bead to the hardtop. 

These 2 seem to clamp together well via the 3 windscreen frame fitting bolts. 

However this is not an original setup. The flat rubber strip is something I had left over.

H

69A07464-944B-4755-A09B-FEF8FB3556E7.jpeg

10 hours ago, ptr2 said:

Out of interest, on the top rubber along the top of the screen, do you remove the soft top one, and fit the channel type that is listed for the hardtop.

The soft top seal stays on the screen, the hardtop has a very shallow H section on its front held in place with screws and screw cups.

Iain

Hamish just want to say thanks for all the detail in this thread. Half way through fitting mine, front lines up lovely but the rear is more of a challenge. If nothing else it will be a great jig for the side screens which have never really fitted too well with the hood.

Cheers Archie

Edited by AtLast

Archie

thank you. I have learnt a lot from this forum and my trials and tribulations with this hard top is just a small pay back or resource for others that follow. 

I don’t pretend it’s a how to refurb a hardtop to be original but others may come up with their own solutions to similar hurdles. 

I have competition misfires to sort out now !!! There is always something. .......

Hamish, great job on fitting the hard top, this will be a great resource when I come to fit mine

I notice you have a Huco fuel pump. The instructions I received for the Huco 133010 were to mount it horizontally with the output port uppermost, but yours is mounted vertically? Which side of the pump is the filter fitted, input or output? Conversion to that set up is after we get the engine up and running but I was cautioned not to run the fuel supply round the back of the engine because of possible fuel vaporization issues. Are your issues ignition or fuel related?

Cheers Phil

2 hours ago, PhilipB said:

Hamish, great job on fitting the hard top, this will be a great resource when I come to fit mine

I notice you have a Huco fuel pump. The instructions I received for the Huco 133010 were to mount it horizontally with the output port uppermost, but yours is mounted vertically? Which side of the pump is the filter fitted, input or output? Conversion to that set up is after we get the engine up and running but I was cautioned not to run the fuel supply round the back of the engine because of possible fuel vaporization issues. Are your issues ignition or fuel related?

Cheers Phil

Phil

the instructions I got same as here 

http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/HUCO.html

didn’t specify a pump orientation. The fine gauze filter is in the input suck side. Thus between pump and tank. 

The routing of the pipework to the rear of the engine along the bulkhead is very much shorter and cooler.

my misfire has been happening with 2 mechanical pumps and this electric also with points and electronic ignition.

I have emptied my fuel tank using this huco pump ( having disconnected the white low tension feed to the coil).

its a fuel blockage in the feed pipe. I suspect an old rubber connecting pipe under the car. 

Phil

For what it is worth, my fuel line is routed on the bulkhead like Hamish's (but with a Facet Cube pump at the rear of the car).

The only time I have experienced vaporisation was on the hottest day of last year when I was stuck in very slow moving traffic through London for several hours (I was vaporising too!).

You can get heat reflective sheaths for your fuel line, but others will know how effective they are.

Miles

DSC05582.jpg

Keith

its lots and lots. 

But what I have done is declared EVERYTHING that’s extra or different on the car. 

The hardtop did add quite a bit as it’s a very solid original steel one that is now in great usable condition and fits !!

And with the clubs A-plan I selected the uplift value % to cover expert classic car  repairers rates. A good idea in my book.