Size of tubing for front overider stay

Hi All,

This is my first post as a new member so please go gently on us.

Im after the diameter of the steel tubing used for the front overider stay that runs from the overider to the inner wheel arch. Part number 611970 and 611971. I realise I could by these from rimmer bros or Moss but these appear to have the wrong finish on the ends compared to a photo I found of an original item which had a radius to the tube crimp on the end rather than looking like they were just flattened in a bench vice. I have made a press tool to create the correct form but want to obtain the correct tube diameter.

Any advice on the dimension would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

Edited by Benstag

Hi Jeff,

welcome to the forum.  Where abouts are you based?

haven't got the measurement off hand but will update tomorrow.   I take it is the TR4 stay support.

I made mine out of stainless.  I think it is 1/2" OD but will sort tomorrow

Roger

Hi Jeff, and another welcome to the Forum, 

If interested I reckon i have a pair of original ones,  If you would like to make your own, I can measure and photo for you

Alternatively they are available. 

Cheers Conrad. 

Jeff

This guy makes them and sells on ebay - hopefully link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-4A-valance-to-arch-stayrods/253978685772?hash=item3b224f314c:g:x9kAAOSw~Flbfvtz:rk:33:pf:0

Appreciate not the same level of satisfaction, but they look like they match the originals very closely

Cheers

Rich

Hi,

Many thanks for the responses,

Yes my car is a 62 TR4 and I’m located in Horley Surrey, so attend the Thames Valley club meet.

I already have remade the front panel to wheelarch support stays in 1/2” tube based on the remains of one that came with the car. 

But looking at photos of the overider stays they look a thicker diameter than 1/2” and I have no patten to work from.

regards

Jeff

Jeff

My apologies for not reading your original post correctly - I now see you didn't mean the the front panel to wheelarch support bar

I've dug out the correct part from my pile of spares and the diameter is on average of approx 16.15mm - I've tried to attach to some photos  below.

If you are after some rechromed front overiders to go with the support bar, I may have a spare pair

Cheers

RichIMG_0667.thumb.JPG.9468ee5c29ba11b7afd7ce50b35d1f32.JPG

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.680b92fae5ba9fc06e738ecc4be8c813.JPGIMG_0670.thumb.JPG.020643949f3c810cca3b963fe1b9b745.JPG

Thanks Rich that was exactly the info I was after, i'll have to use 16mm tube and i'm tempted to go down the stainless route as it will then compliment the overider and anodised gril bright finishl.

Thanks for the offer for the overider, at the moment I have one good original and one pattern new one fitted. The new one although visually looking the same shape and profile as the original does not sit straight on the bumper blade for some reason and ends up tipping forward, i'm hoping when I fit the overider support stay it can be set to pull the overider upright, otherwise i'll be asking about your rechromed ones.

The photos you took capture the radius on the crimped ends well, my thought is that beside the radius making the part look more professionally finished it will also offer more strength than a straight crimp formed on a bench vice as the curve will withstand more loading before bucking.

Final trivia question is which end fits to the overider the end with a slot or end with the hole.

Best Regards

Jeff

Jeff

All understood and I agree having a curved bit on the flattened end definitely strengthens it. As for which end fits where, to be honest I dont know as I never fitted them to my TR4 and cant remember taking them off! However, I would guess the round hole end connects to the overider and the oblong hole connects to the wheel arch but no doubt someone with more knowledge will confirm one way or tother!

Cheers

Rich