TR6 pistons and rods

The TR shop are doing what looks like a good deal for a set of TR6 pistons. Has anyone fitted these pistons, or has an opinion regarding there suitability for a road car? After market con rods are also well advertised, and look like a nice design. Are they better than the original in terms of weight and balance?

Your constructive opinions would be welcome.  Russell

Hi Russell,

The TR Shop pistons will be "County" brand pistons and absolutely fine for road/fast road use, though I'm not so keen on their rings, they seem a bit sharp to me. After market conrods, the Max Speeding Rods are the ones you're probably looking at??? I have a set yet to use. Anyone I've ever spoken to about them both professional & amateur only have good things to say of them.

With that said, there are few differences between early & later TR6 blocks, I've read here on the forum that one of the engine blocks (can't remember which) requires some machining to allow the large end of the Max Speeding Rod to pass TDC.

Let us know what you go for.

Regards,

Richard.

I would go for the Nüral pistons.

Why?

It is a lot of work to bore the block and fit new pistons.

No space for some undefined quality and as I did see meanwhile

a lot of broken pistons I take the best I can get and the Nüral hopefully

have good pistong rings, too.

Do not want to say others are bad, because often you do not see the reason why

things went wrong, but I simply rely on the Nüral quality.

Maxrods are of good quality, fairly priced and light.

Balance is really good.

County pistons are absolutely fine, done 40,000 fast road miles in my 2500-engined saloon since rebuilding it in 2012 and had no issues. Stuck with the original rods.

Hastings piston rings are well regarded… Jason at TRGB advised these when I was rebuilding the engine from my current project TR6. This time I had the original rods balanced and used them again.

Matt

3 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

I would go for the Nüral pistons.

Why?

It is a lot of work to bore the block and fit new pistons.

No space for some undefined quality and as I did see meanwhile

a lot of broken pistons I take the best I can get and the Nüral hopefully

have good pistong rings, too.

Do not want to say others are bad, because often you do not see the reason why

things went wrong, but I simply rely on the Nüral quality.

Maxrods are of good quality, fairly priced and light.

Balance is really good.

When I rebuilt my engine in 2016 I looked at the after market piston suppliers. Nural came into the equation so I asked my local automotive parts supplier where I usually get a good deal? I was quoted £ 105 each + vat for +020's and that was with trade discount? I nearly had to be picked up off the floor! In the mean time I had been under pressure to go from my Engine M/S to go for County Pistons, as I was assured that they are OK as he had already supplied over 1000 sets without any come backs for road use. The only point that he said was that their ring gaps are not consistent.  So this is what I did, I have had no problems so far after 5k miles. In fact the car now uses less oil than when it was new! 

Bruce.

Oh yes, I know about these problems.

The local dealers have their supply partners and if you want to go a different route

they offer crazy prices. Maybe the high price comes from the reason they

are German products and you asked the the price in GB.

Anyway often it is better to investigate a little bit and maybe find another supplier.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/382649413042

This is around 60GBP including the tax what in my opinion is a fair price.

When I swapped to the VW pistons some crazy people also offered them for crazy prices

beyond 100GBP.  Normally I get 4 of them for that price!

Anyway as I said, County must not be bad because if you open a damaged engine you often do not

know, why the piston failed. Also broken piston rings may also have their reason in wrong ignition

setting or wrong mixture or compression or a mix of all.