Rear Trailing Arm Mounting

Good morning all

I'm refitting the trailing arm on my TR4a and noted that in order to remove it I had to remove the brackets from the chassis member due to the bushing bolts being inserted from the outside of the bush. I can see the logic that of the nut comes off the bolt won't come out. But the spares diagram shows a bolt going in from the inside.

Wondered if anyone can confirm original factory set up, and the length of the original bolts if possible. The ones I have may be original but appear quite long with a pointed nose to the bolt.

many thanks

Kevin

Cant remember the length but new from factory they were always fitted so they wouldnt come out unless you unbolted the bracket from the chassis. Obviously the fail safe option.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart I’ve got a feeling the bolts are probably original with a fat washer and nyloc type nut.

I found the inner bushing bolt won’t go any other way than with the bolthead going through from the tunnel side as it hits the chassis the other way round but the outer bolt I put through from the inside, so a compromise as it’s a bit more fiddly to pull the bracket and bolts away from the outer side due to the bodywork.

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Kevin, check that the brackets have a plate between the chassis and nut at the back, I posted pics on here a few years ago where the nuts pulled through a fairly new chassis, I am not an engineer but the chassis was sound and it must have taken some force to cause the damage, I believe CTM and Revington sell the brackets, it was an expensive fix!!  Cheers, Andrew

3 hours ago, AndrewMAshton said:

Kevin, check that the brackets have a plate between the chassis and nut at the back, I posted pics on here a few years ago where the nuts pulled through a fairly new chassis, I am not an engineer but the chassis was sound and it must have taken some force to cause the damage, I believe CTM and Revington sell the brackets, it was an expensive fix!!  Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have large 3/8” plain washers but not a plate as such, but I can see what you mean in that the chassis could possibly crack around the washers and pull through. Think it should have been reinforced there from the factory.

Plates sound a good idea.

Kevin