Does any of the back open or is it just the spare wheel slot. ?

whole doors and wind up windows. ?

Edited by Hamish
Added para
1 hour ago, 2long said:

This one is under restoration down under.  I kind of like the look of it!

Coupe.thumb.jpg.1cee29168ad5330a7e8e6e7cc7c64e2c.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

Are you sure about that?

That picture or a black and white version of it has been floating around the net for years, where did you get the info that its being restored Dan?

Stuart.

In 1963/4, I recall considering a sidescreen car which had been modified by the owner to this sort of shape, and it had been well done (for the time). I met the owner at the end of the M45 and we went for a test run, but I decided that I wanted an open top, like my first TR2, and I was fortunate to find a TR2 which had been equipped with overdrive, disc brakes (both essentials in my book), hardtop, soft top and tonneau, and had been re-upholstered.

The car in the photo seems to sit very low, or is it heavily laden?

Ian Cornish

It reminds me of an Austin Healey 100/4 coupe which was Donald Healey's personal car. The Swallow Doretti coupe attached is now in Germany.

Cheers Richard

IMG_0387.JPG

That's awesome news to hear that's it's being restored!

I do remember it coming up for sale many years ago.                                    

BTW here's a photo of that one and a second car, not many know about.

Cheers Shane

Screenshot_2018-12-08-22-19-25.png

As Stuart has noted there is a black and white photo of it taken in almost the same position and it is in the BMIHT photo archives at Gaydon. The negative number is 36358 and it is dated 14th March 1960 which is presumably when it was entered into the photographic register.

cheers

Derek

As I understand it the car is under restoration in Christchurch.The owner used to own my TR3. Kevin Tinkler our TR Registrar in NZ would have more information and I recall an article in our TR magazine a while back.

Would be interesting to know what happened to the other car in Shanes photo.

Brian

Dic, - much, much prettier (albeit it in very similar state) ‘Giah-styled Swallow Doretti in ‘Lost & Found’ Classic and Sports Car this month.. & photograph from same place (exactly) as yours; presume Richard Larter’s premises. I cannot upload the photo. 

On 12/8/2018 at 3:14 AM, Hamish said:

Does any of the back open or is it just the spare wheel slot. ?

whole doors and wind up windows. ?

I dont think the rear can open (like an E type or MGB) as there is a gas filler cap right in the middle so the gas tank is probably taking up most of the rear. I think the TR3 Francorchamps is prettier but it would be great if this TR2 is saved.

Stan

When I was a teenager I used to own one of the cars pictured TS3533, the coupe body had already been removed and dumped by the person I bought the car from, a welll known enthusiast that was describet to me as having owned most of the sidescreens in auckland at least once!  I never finished the car or got it on the road as I needed cash to buy my first house. I have attached an article that appeared in the NZ register magazine, TRansmission quite a few years ago

hope you find it interesting

cheers

Alan

TS5512-O NZ TR2 Coupe.pdf

1 hour ago, Kiwifrog said:

When I was a teenager I used to own one of the cars pictured TS3533, the coupe body had already been removed and dumped by the person I bought the car from, a welll known enthusiast that was describet to me as having owned most of the sidescreens in auckland at least once!  I never finished the car or got it on the road as I needed cash to buy my first house. I have attached an article that appeared in the NZ register magazine, TRansmission quite a few years ago

hope you find it interesting

cheers

Alan

TS5512-O NZ TR2 Coupe.pdf

Thanks Alan, great story.

Hi Tony

That is very observant. I used to own both the Doretti coupes, one is now in Germany and I am restoring the other one, the restored chassis was on the Doretti stand at the NEC several years ago. This is the Ghia car which recently featured in the Classic and Sports Car magazine. Have tried to up lode a photo again, fingers crossed.

Cheers Richard

DSCN0055.pdf

That’s the one! Much prettier lines imo.. & every corner of the photo looks interesting, what is going on with the rear wheel on RLL 280; quasi-wire wheel without the wires? - Roman chariot style..Can’t tell for sure what the three black ones are but, I like the look of two out of the three...

Hi Tony

RLL280 is a Doretti in which I fitted a Daimler V8 engine and I made a set of steel centre lock wheels, not keen on wires. I took it to Le Mans a couple of times, various Internationals and the Isles Tour to Orkney and Shetland, now in Sweden. The other cars are a Morris Minor, Volvo Amazon and an MG TC (not mine).

Cheers Richard

Looks like you have got a great set-up there Richard, you won’t get bored twiddling your thumbs.

TC is very pretty but absolutely no umph.. compared to side-screen TR (or V8 Doretti specially). Amazon looks to be a particularly fine example; used to rally against them, tough as old boots, supremely reliable and, in the right hands, a truly formidable (and comfortable) rally car.

(Ps long shot.. but was it you who ‘saved our Scottish Malts rally’ back in the 90’s when you supplied and fitted rear leaf spring on co-driver Malcolm (McKay) TR2 at the ‘drop of a hat’? - And or was it also you who went out late in the evening to remove working oil pump and courier/taxi it down to team mate? - It was a Kiwi guy who made the final call and  taxi ended up somewhere else in Scotland but, that’s another story! )

Cheers

Tony