Fitting a hood stick cover

Hi all.

Following the fitting of my full harness seat belts, I can no longer (easily) fold the tonnau down behind the seats, so I have invested in a Moss (in the sale) hood stick cover.

It is obvious that a row of L.T.D. fasteners need to be fitted at the rear, but I'm not sure what to do with the front section which (presumably) folds under the hood frame & attaches somewhere underneath to hold it there. 

Any advise / photos would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob.

Am I missing something? why don't use the pegs for the tonneau/hood for the hood stick cover as well?

/Inge

@ Inge: 

I think that Bob knows that - that's the way to fix the outer part of the cover. But what to to with the inner part?

@ Bob: 

As far as I know, there should be a small pocket in the inner lower corner, this is intended to go over the foremost part of the (folded) hood sticks. So this should fix these corners.

I could imagine, that the main portion in the rear is just  wrapped around the hood sticks and the fix by the weight of the sticks, pressed between hood stick and rear panel. 

Regards, Johannes

There should be two studs, one on the inside rear corner of each rear quarter capping just forward of the inner fixing screw so the cover wraps up under the frame and one stud on each of the inner forward corners too, you do really need the shorter type of stud though they arent available over here (TRF only I think) so they dont intrude too far.

Stuart.

Hi Bob, this is a pic of mine, there is a pocket at each end into which the foremost point of the hood stick goes, the centre of the cover did use to flap out from under the hood sticks when motoring so I punched a hole through the cover, fitted an eyelet then threaded a long black shoelace through and secure it around the middle of the hood sticks. Now it doesn't move, Hope this helps, cheers, Bill.

P1020684_1245a.jpg

Thanks Billy,  Johannes & Stuart.  I thought there should be some kind of fastening under the sticks (as well as the corner pockets.)

Anyone got a photo of exactly where they go ?

Bob.

Bob

You could use a strip(s) of Velcro to secure the middle section of the cover to the nearest stick section or to the inside of the cover itself, rather than it hanging loose.

Rob

Bob and Others,

Here’s a link to a thread on another forum about this topic with a photo showing the inside LTD stud. You’ll want to reverse that particular LTD snap, too. 

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?106434-Hood-Stick-Cover-LTD-Studs&highlight=Tr3+upholstery

Keith Jordan

16 minutes ago, ckeithjordan said:

Sorry for the double post!

Keith

Don't mention it

Don't mention it !

Actually I think the photo's show the external L.T.D. used for the tonneau, & the hood.

Still confused.

Bob.

Bob,it's a good idea to fit the inside corner LTD to the cover before you fit the last 3 outside ones so they all line up. I left the inside one till last and i couldn't stretch the material far enough and had to make a plan , not the best outcome but it stays where it should.

Graham

I got tired of mine flapping even with all the stock bits used. I bought a piece of foam insulation meant for 3/4 inch water pipes. It is about 4 ft long and about 2 inch in diameter and quite pliable. I stuff it in with the flap and it holds everything snug. Doesn’t hurt anything and can’t be seen. Cheers, Mike

It was all going so well.

on removing the capping pieces I could see existing holes in the aluminium which I had covered with the trim.

Opened them up, & because of the rather thick trim panel underneath, I spaced the peg off with a plastic washer.

2118293475_Holesforhoodstickcoverpeg.thumb.jpg.33d5cf8ea1ce140b2da2f980c93b0169.jpg  649712939_Hoodstickcoverinnerpeg.thumb.jpg.0b07a43595cd42fd6a03b2211b52f273.jpg

I then fitted the centre two external LTD clips, & after attaching them pulled the end outwards very hard, & marked the positions of the next 4 (2 each side).

fitted those, & then went to mark position of the outside corner clip - could not get the fabric anywhere near it !

I then decided to see if the internal fixings would fit, with a massive struggle I managed to get the inside clips onto the pegs, but the fabric is so tight it is pulling the hood sticks up above the rear capping.

going back the outside fixings, it would only be possible to get the corner ones on if the frame is not put into the pockets , & as for the final clip which goes on the most forward of the outside pegs it is about 2 inches short.

Stopped to consider my options.

Bob (pi$$ed off)

Edited by Lebro

I now believe the problem is with the origin of this particular cover.

A fellow member who lives very near me fitted a HS cover a while ago (I helped him) and we had no problems fitting it.

It came from a company in Linconshire.    Mine came from a company in W London.

My friends cover fits on my car perfectly (even all the studs lined up !) My cover will not fit on his car (3A)

I hope I can get a re-fund.

Bob.

642500118_MossHScoverOS.thumb.jpg.70fbc00620d229efd1fce57c21783e8a.jpg   30092534_MossHScoverNS.thumb.jpg.2ac6be0b7b4c48a021e209cfdcd8aebc.jpg   355354382_RimmerHScoverOS.thumb.jpg.aa7d1d7870ccbe06b6b875b3de5b174c.jpg  267817089_RimmerHScoverNS.thumb.jpg.160a73abae87fe323842c8e4868dd206.jpg

W London  O/S                                  W London N/S                                       Lincoln  O/S                                  Lincoln N/S

17 hours ago, Lebro said:

I hope I can get a re-fund.

Bob.

642500118_MossHScoverOS.thumb.jpg.70fbc00620d229efd1fce57c21783e8a.jpg   30092534_MossHScoverNS.thumb.jpg.2ac6be0b7b4c48a021e209cfdcd8aebc.jpg   355354382_RimmerHScoverOS.thumb.jpg.aa7d1d7870ccbe06b6b875b3de5b174c.jpg  267817089_RimmerHScoverNS.thumb.jpg.160a73abae87fe323842c8e4868dd206.jpg

W London  O/S                                  W London N/S                                       Lincoln  O/S                                  Lincoln N/S

Probably not now youve tried to fit it Im afraid.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Well apparently they will ! 

Bob.

Then your very lucky as they usually dont.

Stuart.

24 minutes ago, stuart said:

Then your very lucky as they usually dont.

Stuart.

Spoke to Chis from sales who assured me that they will give a full refund.

He did seem to understand that it was useless as supplied, & that they would look into the design of it.

Now sent back, so hope they are true to their word !

Edited by Lebro

Update.

Rimmers HS cover now fitted (even it was very tight to get on, but on it is, & hopefully it will become easier as time goes by.)

Full refund received from Moss (thank you) they are looking into "why the supplier was so stingy with material"  so hopfuly this will be sorted for future stock.

Bob.