Going to make a "proper" job of it this time, last time I was too hasty, just wanted to get it going after a quite a long restoration.

So the engine must come out, I'm being quite methodical / slow and doing it by the book which says to remove the engine should take about 3 hours.............really, more like 3 days + so far.

I have almost all of the bolt on bits off. All of the hoses off and the electrics disconnected. I can see that I will also have to remove the tubular cross member and shift the steering column out of the way to avoid last minute snagging, question is, is there a "simple" way to shift the bottom half of the steering column or do I have to dismantle the whole thing?

I'm sure there will be many further questions as this project progresses, thank heaven for the forum and those that contribute / help us keen but ignorant DIY's

Kind regards David

Hi David,

Remove -      Bonnet, radiator, suspension turret cross beam, steering rack (slacken and drop forward), Carbs, manifolds,  (exhaust down pipe can be simply lowered but the manifold

needs to come off.

Are you raking the GB out with it.???   I did. Quite scary but makes life easy come refitting.

Make sure the lift front wheels fit between the car front tyres.

Have you got a leveling beam for the lift - if not then jack the back of the car up - this will allow the eng/GB to lay more horizontal.

Roger

Ah move the steering rack a bit, now it makes sense. 

I'm not taking the gearbox / overdrive out it's too scary, I know it will be a pain lining up the two later but I can take a mornings fiddling about even a whole day if push comes to shove which I am sure it will. I actually went through this exercise on my Spitfire (much easier to work on) and the two snicked together first time..............could have knocked me down wiv a fever. I know that's not going to happen twice in a row.

Tom I do have a leveling beam like yours but can't get the crane legs to fit between the wheels. also be interested to know what you used as lifting points please.

Thanks David

Hi David,

to get the hoist far enough in you can remove a tyre/wheel and support it on an small axle stand,

You do need to get the hoist in far enough.

Engine and GB is seriously do'able and worth consideration. - honest.

On the 4/4A there are hoist points at the front of the block near the water pump and at the rear offside corner of the head - there should be a looped piece of steel by the heater valve.

Enjoy yourself

Roger

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Now that's a plan!  I'll move the car back as far as I sensibly go. lower the front end on to axle stands and see how far I can get the crane in if I can get it in far enough I'll think about engine I'll think again about taking the whole shooting match out in one, with the front lower I may just have enough lift height.

Thanks so much for your help. David.

39 minutes ago, david c said:

but I can take a mornings fiddling about even a whole day if push comes to shove which I am sure it will.

Thanks David

Ha..ha..ha...hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa BBBBww w hhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I try not to depress people but reality needs to be acknowledged. RogerH has a love affair with his gearbox and clutch arrangements, he takes them out regularly...I mean regularly, 3...4 even 5 times a year and he removes his gearbox by...taking out the engine and gear box complete. Can you contemplate why ?

Seriously consider removing both together and refitting together, the few hours required to remove the engine is amply recovered in an easier time being had by all, as for the engine gearbox removal being scary ! be afraid be very afraid, there's much more on a TR which will test you more than this. For every laughing TR owner who has split and refit engine and gearbox in car there's a couple of gibbering wrecks who struggled sometimes for multiple days and failed, check it out in the search forum.

Mick Richards  

Glad I made you laugh Mick :D 

I will I promise look again at the possibility of "all out together" but I am still septical  

Thanks for your advise much appreciated David

Mick is pretty much spot on, and as someone who has had cause to pull & rebuild engines fairly frequently (ask my local group!) my view is that of a bit of extra effort up front in taking the gearbox out with the engine is handsomely rewarded by the ease with which it all goes back together...can't compete with time it takes the lads to swap air-cooled motors in early Dubs...but I'm not bad!!

Dearly love to pull both together but I really don't think I have the lift height, pushed the crane in this afternoon and had to jack the car up a bit to get the legs under the chassis, even so can't quite get the jib over the center of the block.......even with the bumper off.

If I had a decent area of flat outside i'd push it out of the shed but as the concrete drive slopes in two directions and the prospect of the engine crane careering off down the hill is not one I relish.

Thanks John for your interest

I'm sure I'm being a bit of wimp with this, but to be sure is there any problem with this, lifting with the "L" shaped brackets on the leveling beam thing bolted to the head studs?

DSC_0006[295].JPG

Nope, that's what they are there for.

Mick Richards