Welcome to the forum.

Assuming it is a UK car then the original spec was a 165/80 R15 tyre. A Michelin XAS was fitted from new. There is some useful advise in the video: https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/triumph/tr6.html#page=1

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey

Hi Mr Mike, you've come to the best site for TR information and technical help.

NEVER forget to do a forum search,  I tried this under Tyre heading

and came up with a bunch to review. Bottom line is do you want the car to handle ? or do you want grip ? not the same thing at all.

Seems obvious but if you want the car to grip you go with wider tyres with lower profile (but I would max out at 195) which is more pointy squirty and develops your biceps if parking often. Whereas the 165 or 185 option gives you lighter steering effort when parking and a drive where the balance between front and rear grip allows the car to change direction easier and unlimited amounts of joy.

Got the car handling like it's on rails ? you're not driving it fast enough.

Mick Richards

Mr Mike,

If you have a CP or CR series your TR6 would originally have had either 165x15 Dunlop SP Sports or Michelin XAS both in the equivalent to an 80 profile. If you have a CC or CF series TR6 then it would have been fitted with either 185x15 Michelin Red Band or Goodyear Red band both in the equivalent to an 80 profile.  We have some circa 650 build records on file and the only exceptions recorded to these are 175x15 Dunlop SP Sports fitted to CP54572-O and 185x15 Dunlop SP Sports fitted to CP77087-O. The two Heritage certificates where these are recorded could of course be in error.  If you fit any other sizes then your speedo will not record correctly albeit there are tables on the net which will help you decide on the best equivalent profile to original or you could get your speedo recalibrated to suit what you decide to fit.  

cheers

Derek 

Another fan of the XAS tyre here, fitted them to my car replacing the old Yokahama's and the difference was amazing

Tom

I'm going for 165 x15's for my next tyre, I think the look of the car is also important and feel low profile wider tyres change the look of the car, not necessarily in a good way for me.

The range of tyres sizes available for a UK car (depending on width of the wheel) is usually 165 x15 (165/80 15), 185/70 15, 195/65 15 & 205/65 15, these will all be close in diameter (height) to the original 165 x 15. I've currently got some 6 inch wheels with 205/60 15's, they don't look right, too low and too wide, I want to go back to skinny and tall! 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

@MrMike

What size tyres do you have on it now? The classic tyres can be expensive, whereas a more common size are a lot cheaper. 

Personally I use Vredstein T-Track 2 on mine and as it has the ubiquitous mock minilite alloys they are 195 width. I personally don’t have any issues with parking and it drifts quite nicely coming off the slip road:ph34r:

I got mine from blackcircles.com

Dave