Which Camshaft?

Gentlemen,

I'm currently organising an engine rebuild for the "4" - the current unit is basically a "4A" (allbeit on a "3A" Block!) with 87mm Pistons/Liners, a slightly lightened Flywheel, Extractor Manifold and Strombergs (and I'm not throwing them away!) 

The rebuild will be the same apart from the Camshaft. At present I'm not thinking of Porting/Polishing the Head, but that could change. What I want is just a little more grunt in the 2/3K rev range and do not want to mess up the idle and torque qualities of the unit.

Two good friends of mine (Forumites) have recently gone through this exercise, one installed the Piper BP270 and the other the Newman PHI - they are both very happy with the result and I intend pursuing one of these alternatives.

I would be grateful to hear the views of anyone else who has gone down one of these routes.

Many thanks - Geoff

I used a Piper 3TY spec. which was described as a high torque or a mild road cam for my TR3. I think the BP270 is the rough equivalent. I am very happy with it. Loads of good torque for touring and seems to go well in an otherwise standard engine with 86mm piston/liners.

Mick

Geoff,

You don't say who is building your engine but by careful building and control of piston deckheights and compression ratio you can "sweeten" your engine without much cost and maintain it's roadmanners driveability. Drop me a PM if you wish to discuss.

Mick Richards

For a road car a piper yellow will give it a bit extra and good road manners

a roller rocker set will give you the option of more lift without changing the cam

for road cars less is definitely more from a useability point of view

Iirc the PH1 is a 280 degree cam in its 4 cylinder TR guise, so a bit more duration than the Piper. Strangely the PH1 for 6 cylinder TRs (and the small chassis 4 cylinders) is 260 degree duration and the equivalent 280 cam is a PH2 which variant they don’t list for the 4 cylinder TRs.