Fitting location for additional fuse box

Hi all,

I’m adding the extra aux fuse box kit and relay from Revington to my 4, before choosing to situate it somewhere which seemed like a good idea but wasn’t, I would just like to ask where others have fitted theirs and if they had any problems.

Choices appear to be ;

1. horizontally on the near-side bulkhead shelf (where the master cylinders would be on LHD models) or 

2. Vertically on the inner wing.

the first option could be a bit vulnerable to siting water in the rain, what is the must popular?

lastly, any gotcha’s with fitting the kit?

thanks in advance, Andy 

Hi Andi, 

I also want to do this next as a part of my power steering project.

My plan is to fix the old and new one next to each other on a steel plate and fix them both where the single fuse box was fixed before.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

I don’t have a glovebox as that space is occupied by speedometer, Halda and other items.  But, when there is a glovebox, is there space forward of the glovebox on the underside of the bulkhead?

I ask because I managed to fabricate in aluminium a small box, with a drop-down hinged lid secured by a Dzus fastener. The box is secured to the underside of the bulkhead, above the navigator’s legs.  Inside the box there are 2 terminal blocks, 4 plug-in relays and 4 blade fuseholders.

I seem to recall that Lee Hutton devised a similar regime some years ago, that he published an article in TR Action and that he made a number of copies for other members of the North London Group - might be worth contacting him.

Ian Cornish

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

regarding searches, I have searched earlier, looked through many old threads, but the question of where to site the box itself when using the Revington box/loom is rarely answered.

....... Andy 

Thanks Ian, yep, I’ll probably end up giving Revington a call.... although sometimes other creative ideas are out there.

....... Andy 

Hi Andy,

put the Aux fuse box near to where  your wires are.

You do not want  miles of wire  around the car simply for a fuse.

I fitted my own design to the off side in the gao between the front wheel arch and the bulkhead for the Master cylinder.

Nearly all the wires come out of that bulkhead (well, they do on my 4A)

Roger

Dont mount it on top of the foot well as it will get wet, I have had to remove and completely rewire one previously that had been sited there and I believe thats where Revingtons say to fit, better to mount vertically on the inner wing next to the existing then as Roger says minimal extra wiring. Why do you think on a 5 and 6 that has more fuses etc they also mount it vertically albeit the other side of the car.

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to fitting the extra fuses.... I chose the near side inner wing, the loom was a better length/fit that way. If anyone is interested in the future, this is how it ended up.

CA215DD9-6220-4D4A-828E-E9EA25242D27.jpeg

Hi,

my project is also finished,

but 4 fuses must be enough for my TR4A, this is mainly to reduce the current on the ignition switch,

see the little relay hidden left behind the fuse boxes to switch voltage on the 2nd fuse direct from the RB 106 when ignition is on.

1st fuse is continious voltage without ignition for hazzard warning relay and for 2 loading sockets "cigarette lighter style".

With fuses 3 and 4 (lower fuse box) everything is (nearly) original. 

P1120011-b.JPG.92d20fa734fa8391aa11aeda0b82b4ff.JPG

Edited by Z320

Nice job Marco, I figured going this way I wouldn’t need to do the job again and add more in the future (famous last words!)

i have a similar split of ignition-switched (top 4) and permanent live (lower four) fuses.

First feeds will be to the heaters which I have just fitted to the seats.

....... Andy 

Hi Andy,

you also did a nice job,

My intention was to keep an original styl.

With heaters in the seats it would have done my construction different.

But have no special idea how.

Ciao / Cheers, Marco 

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news, the new fuse supply works great on the heated seats.... switches found a home in my Moss centre console and are quite discreet.

...... Andy 

2ACCDF75-62AF-4041-A611-D8BCF3BD58D1.jpeg

A8BF144C-7756-4D71-8057-412ECC4BD2F5.jpeg

Hi Andy,

that is looking very neat.

How is the Moss centre console? Recommended?

Mybe I’m wrong, but It looks you have the original MX5 seat belt mounts (fitted to the seat rails) I thought the needed to be removed?

Thanks,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi, 

the seatbelt stalks are an illusion - they are fixed to proper mountings in the tunnel, the Mazda ones have been removed from the seats.

i like the centre console, handy extra storage and a useful arm rest for driver or passenger (although perhaps not both at the same time!) - only held on with heavy-duty Velcro so easily removed if needed.

....... Andy 

Thanks Andy,

I wondered if it would be safe to use the original MX5 seat bekt stalks, probably better to fit them directly to the tunnel.

I guess you had to cut the welded plate to the seat rails that hold the MX 5 stalk?

thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

i would not recommend using the seat-mounted ones.... essentially you would be relying on the strength of a thin floor-pan to save your neck, I don’t fancy the odds on that one.

removing them was easy, nothing to cut or grind, just a single fixing on each seat per the photo below (Credit for the picture to TR Trader, I grabbed it from their website).

7C98FA00-3815-4960-9FF6-E4E933D65394.jpeg

Thanks again Andy,

This saves me from grinding off the bracket now I know it does not need to be removed.

Cheers,

Waldi

I like Marco's set up of the fuse boxes. Planning something similar myself but also wanting to replace the Moss headlamp relays with original Lucas 6RA type but wondering where I could locate them in the engine bay. Marco what is the colour of your car. The inside looks like conifer green but is the outside the same?

As for heated seats? We usually have the problem in the summer of black seats absorbing the heat of the sun and almost taking the skin off our legs when we get in. Don't even think about shorts! Anyone got cooled seats??? 

Keith

52 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

I like Marco's set up of the fuse boxes. Planning something similar myself but also wanting to replace the Moss headlamp relays with original Lucas 6RA type but wondering where I could locate them in the engine bay. Marco what is the colour of your car. The inside looks like conifer green but is the outside the same?

As for heated seats? We usually have the problem in the summer of black seats absorbing the heat of the sun and almost taking the skin off our legs when we get in. Don't even think about shorts! Anyone got cooled seats??? 

Keith

If you want to fit the 6RA type and you have a 4a then piggy back them to the existing horn one on the right hand inner arch box  If you have a 4 then both in that position

Stuart.

8 hours ago, keith1948 said:

That is easily solved by flipping the seatback forward to keep the seat-base in the shade, added benefit of not finding bird-mess on the seat-base when getting out of work in the afternoon :)     

The heated seats give me some more reasons to smile on the Drive to work when the temps are not so pleasant.

...... Andy