Battery Earth Lead

My leads a bit frayed.   I can see its got to earthing points, one to chassis, one to engine.  Can anybody advise if I should get same as I can see some with just a single earthing point.

Thanks

Rich

Rich,

the first pic in the document shared by Mike shows the original design, which is what I have. If you use a longer bolt, which protrudes through the bulk head, you can have an additional earth point inside the cabin on the bulkhead. I removed the paint from the inside welded nut (welded to bulk head), and installed an additional nut for proper earth from body to cable and then with a 3rd nut clamping additional earth wires to the bolt.

Waldi

On 12/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, Mike C said:

For earths I have one large cable to the engine and a smaller cable from the engine to the chassis.

Hi Mike ,

interested as to where this engine to chassis earth is located.

Having just purchased the battery cables, I noticed auto sparks offer this cable but none of the tr suppliers show one in their catalogues.

Mark.

Hi Mike,

this may be a red herring but on my 4A I have the two stanbdard earth cables - Battery to body  and Engine to chassis

I have a third cable - battery to engine.

I have it attached at the coil attachment holes in the block

I'm sure the TR6 would have somewhere convenient to hook up to

Roger

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mike,

this may be a red herring but on my 4A I have the two stanbdard earth cables - Battery to body  and Engine to chassis

I have a third cable - battery to engine.

I have it attached at the coil attachment holes in the block

I'm sure the TR6 would have somewhere convenient to hook up to

Roger

Mark69's cable looks OK for a main earth cable. I have several smaller earthing cables added wherever I've needed on over the years-places like the tail lights , Bosch pump, instruments  and steering shaft flexible joint. 

With an electrical system comprised mainly of Lucas components you can never have enough earths. 

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

That's what I'd use if I installed a new earth again, looks like it's rated for the expected current, I'd just confirm the length and location of the middle body earth.

Mike ,

These aren’t the specific cables, just internet images.  Taking deliver tomorrow from Moss. Hopefully all dims and lengths are correct.

Could you advise me where the engine chassis cable is located .

Thanks Mark

10 hours ago, Mark69 said:

Mike ,

These aren’t the specific cables, just internet images.  Taking deliver tomorrow from Moss. Hopefully all dims and lengths are correct.

Could you advise me where the engine chassis cable is located .

Thanks Mark

My main chassis earth connection is in roughly the same place as Dave's- it's a 3/8 bolt about 350mm below the battery negative terminal.

If you connect the main  engine earth to the engine backplate make  sure you leave enough slack in the cable between  the chassis earth and the engine earth to allow the engine to freely  move on it's anti vibration mounts.

Surely with the engine to chassis earths - so long as you have the cable attached either side of the rubber engine mount, a simple bridge, it’ll do its job. 

Question

will the engine/ grearbox earth mass include the prop shaft and axle. Via the gearbox gear meshing and prop connections ?

Hi Hamish,

I would not rely on a proper ground to the propshaft and diff, but there is no need for an earth either.

large rotatibg machines with risk of static electricity  sometimes have a brush, similary as used in our startermotor, but again, no need for that on our propshaft or diff.

regards,

Waldi

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

will the engine/ grearbox earth mass include the prop shaft and axle. Via the gearbox gear meshing and prop connections ?

Often if there`s a missing earth it will be heater cables that become earths they glow well!

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Hamish,

I would not rely on a proper ground to the propshaft and diff, but there is no need for an earth either.

large rotatibg machines with risk of static electricity  sometimes have a brush, similary as used in our startermotor, but again, no need for that on our propshaft or diff.

regards,

Waldi

I only earth the engine block and body- things that don't move. I really think it's wise to conduct electricity through things that have moving surfaces- like bearings- unless you use equipment specifically designed for this purpose  like commutators and brushes etc.

The starter draws by far the heaviest current so a good , heavy earth must be terminated close to it -electrically speaking.