Is this pot metal toast or fixable?

I finally got my thermostat housing off the head and it is a hot mess.  The worst part is shown here, with a more modern housing for comparison.  The housing to head surface is corroded badly, as shown in the picture.  Since these housings are not available, would it be feasible to repair this somehow?  Stuart has advised that JB weld can repair the neck that the hose fits on, but I am not sure JB weld is up to this task?

Cheers

Dan

Housing.thumb.jpg.66b3e213923daec31c67de1b97c492b3.jpg

212621052_Housing2.thumb.jpg.3c646d95d2c635d2a355383a05ca8b92.jpg

Edited by 2long

Dan,

That looks a bit rough. I believe the housing is an aluminum casting which has undergone some significant electrostatic deterioration. If the sealing surfaces are too thin you may be in for a challenge. (see 12 o'clock in the first photo). At least there is an option once the SDF thermostat housings become available, I am in the queue!

Mike

There are solders that are designed for pot metal.  Possibly they could be used to build up the corroded area.  I think I'd consider machining away some of the corroded part and soldering on a new machined flange. 

Also, I haven't tried it, but I've read about people fixing damaged pot metal by copper plating it and using conventional solder.

Ed

In my professional life we use Belzona for repair of pump impellors, heat exchanger parts etc. It’s a group of composite materials, and are often considered better than the original materials.

Waldi

8 hours ago, stuart said:

I have just had a carb body repaired (pretty much the same material) using a type of solder like this.

Stuart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dINNNtVk0cU

That looks a good useable product Stuart, I looked for a supplier unfortunately they will not supply to the EU as it does not meet EU requirements, roll on Brexit.

Paul

17 hours ago, stillp said:

This chap was demonstrating at Stoneleigh - would this work?

Pete

Thats similar to the stuff I have that I bought from Snapon years ago, dont know if they still sell it.

Stuart.

If this is aluminium it's likely to be an easy fix by TIG welding.  There are tricks like using graphite to fill the big hole in the middle, that make it easier.

If it's a magnesium-zinc alloy the zinc-rich solder rods intended for aluminium will work.  But this type of material requires a lot of skill.

This is because temperature is critical and it gives no visual clue of it's temperature, unlike steel or brass.

There is only a small margin between the melting point of the rod and the whole casting sagging and running away.  And of course it's a good conductor of heat so you need a hot torch.

I had a small crack in the body of a Rolls-Royce wiper motor repaired by an expert on welding magnesium alloy.  Worked fine but was only a small defect.

• 2 weeks later...

Get your local machine shop to bore out the corroded part to a cleaned up diameter and then make a good fitting annulus with whatever the original ID was. Assemble with the appropriate Loctite adhesive. JB weld might work but this definitely will.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I am going to follow up with this thread, which has an amazing result!  Rod B. (Rodbr) agreed to take on the task with JB weld and eye of newt.  Having done one before, he was either a genius or a crazy man to volunteer to do mine, which was on death's door.  The result is below, and I am so pleased he was able to preserve the original part, or at least give it a fighting chance!  How about that patina of a refreshed surviving original part, which happens to be as rare as hen's teeth!  I will report on it further once bolted up and put into service!

Cheers

Dan

Housing 1.jpg

Housing 2.jpg

Housing 3.jpg

Edited by 2long