Genuine TR6 or Triumph Engines - How do I check

I am ashamed to say we have had a TR6 in the garage since 1991 waiting to be renovated!!!  That said, and serious nagging from my wife who is threatening to fill it with compost and make it a garden feature, I have the chance of an engine.  I really am going to get cracking with this now, and got a couple of mechanically minded friends on board to get on with it.  My problem is this, an engine I have been offered and told  "I am sure it is a TR6 engine" probably isn't.  Is there a list of TR engine numbers anywhere so that I can check - this one is MM21328HEA.  Any help would be very much appreciated. It is supposedly a 2.5 engine.

Edited by Martyn Jordan

From the list on Canley Classics. MM code is a 2.5 litre engine that was installed in a 2.5 TC (twin carb) saloon or estate.

Edited by DaveN

Welcome to the Forum Martyn.

First thing you need to do is join the TR Register.

£400 is an awful lot for a saloon engine of unknown ancestry, even it was fully dressed in PI kit. What is wrong with your engine?

Jerry

Hi Jerry - I have actually been contributing to TR Register as a member for 25 years lol - Hence the aggravation from my Mrs who is threatening to make it a plant pot.  The original engine was sandblasted and some particles got inside the cam shaft area.  After cleaning the area and test running it for an hour, white metal particles were found in the oil sump - I still have the engine of course.  Those particles are in the engine and would require a complete overhaul - obviously.  So, a new engine/reconditioned engine is on the cards - but not the MM one.

Martyn,

Presumably, you would be doing a full rebuild on the TR6 engine if it's been stood for 27 years? Also presumably the TC saloon engine would need a full rebuild so costs are unlikely to be dramatically different.

The TC cylinder head will have the wrong inlet port spacings if you want to put the car on PI and the compression ratio will be lower.

You mention sand in the TR6 engine cam area. If you're concerned about wear there you could have the block line bored and cam bearings fitted. I've just been quoted £330.00 to line bore and supply and fit cam bearings.

Dave McD

1 hour ago, Dave McDonald said:

Martyn,

Presumably, you would be doing a full rebuild on the TR6 engine if it's been stood for 27 years? Also presumably the TC saloon engine would need a full rebuild so costs are unlikely to be dramatically different.

The TC cylinder head will have the wrong inlet port spacings if you want to put the car on PI and the compression ratio will be lower.

You mention sand in the TR6 engine cam area. If you're concerned about wear there you could have the block line bored and cam bearings fitted. I've just been quoted £330.00 to line bore and supply and fit cam bearings.

Dave McD

I was under the impression that the TC and S cylinder head was the best one to get as it had better gas flow?? 

13 hours ago, Martyn Jordan said:

I am ashamed to say we have had a TR6 in the garage since 1991 waiting to be renovated!!!  That said, and serious nagging from my wife who is threatening to fill it with compost and make it a garden feature, I have the chance of an engine.  I really am going to get cracking with this now, and got a couple of mechanically minded friends on board to get on with it.  My problem is this, an engine I have been offered and told  "I am sure it is a TR6 engine" probably isn't.  Is there a list of TR engine numbers anywhere so that I can check - this one is MM21328HEA.  Any help would be very much appreciated. It is supposedly a 2.5 engine.

Martyn, I'm just getting to the end of my project that's been on the go for the last 16 years. I'm pretty pleased with the results despite the headaches and pot of cash needed.

My car came originally fitted with a non-TR6 engine with an MG prefix. It's at the back of the garage and likely in need of a rebuild, despite still turning by hand. There are no ancillaries with it, just the block and head. If it's any use to you I'd let it go for £150 and I'm in Stoke on Trent.

11 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Martyn,

Dave McD

The heads normally have the correct port spacing although there were some in the USA which were different (to stop people retro-fitting the PI to the TRs in some of the US states which had more stringent emission regs than the UK).

Apparently one of the heads fitted to the 2.5S had the best gas flow straight from the factory.  Compression ratios differed but that's not difficult to sort.

6 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The heads normally have the correct port spacing although there were some in the USA which were different (to stop people retro-fitting the PI to the TRs in some of the US states which had more stringent emission regs than the UK).

Apparently one of the heads fitted to the 2.5S had the best gas flow straight from the factory.  Compression ratios differed but that's not difficult to sort.

16 hours ago, DaveN said:

I was under the impression that the TC and S cylinder head was the best one to get as it had better gas flow?? 

Dave and Andy,

Certainly the 219016 head from the 2500S had the best gas flow and the correct port spacings for PI throttle bodies.

It was an assumption on my part that the TC saloon would have the same port spacings as the USA carburettor cars. I stand corrected if I am wrong and apologise if I have mislead anyone.

Dave McD

No need to apologise.

All of these things make the assumption that the head and block are originals. After 40+ years it's not inconceivable that the head and block are not from the same engine and USA head has been fitted to a saloon block and then sold on.

Q; What prefix & engine number do you have when it's been skimmed off during zero-decking machining?

A; What number do you want it to have.

I bought an engine block from a supplier a couple of years ago, the above is pretty much the conversation we had. My point is, it's very very simple to change the engine number. To my knowledge all Triumph 6cly engine blocks are pretty much externally identical, barring the strengthening rib on later engines.

Richard.