There was a glimmer of light

I have been busy for the last 4 months restoring my 73 TR6, it's a UK CR and looked in a reasonable condition when purchased. Having fitted new floor pans and sills, today I turned my attention to the boot area and removed and replaced the left side panel (pump mounting panel) rather pleased with the effort and feeling there is light at the end of the tunnel I decided to clean the inner wing mounting flanges of all old sealant. Not a pleasant sight about a 5mm thickness of body filler the entire wing mounting face from the boot lid hinge to the B post and the same on the rear deck surface. Much more welding and repairing required.

Whoever carried out previous repairs to the car was a master of disguising a repair bodge, patches on patches along with a bucket of filler, 25% of my reasonable looking TR6 has been brushed up into bin bags. Another prime candidate for the Trigger's broom prize.

Paul

Glad you are getting there. Will it be on the road by next Spring

7 minutes ago, Paul Hill said:

Glad you are getting there. Will it be on the road by next Spring

Hi Paul

I have viewed you thread looks like you have a good one.

There is a possibility it depends on getting the paint work done, I have completed the chassis, engine etc. 

Paul

Hi  Paul 

Any pictures of the work in progress

I have a problem downloading seems I need to clear some space in my attachments .

It's amazing how skilled someone has be to spend so much time and effort sculpting filler to hide rust and damage, I guess it's cheaper than spending the money on doing it properly! :mellow:

1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

It's amazing how skilled someone has be to spend so much time and effort sculpting filler to hide rust and damage, I guess it's cheaper than spending the money on doing it properly! :mellow:

Time wise there is probably not a lot of difference in the creations I have discovered, replacement of the panel could probably be achieved in a similar timescale. Big saving on materials though, my budget is in ever increasing circles. It will of course be very satisfying when completed.

Paul

It always amazes me what some people will do to bodge a car.

I bought a Lancia many years ago that had allegedly been the subject of a rebuild restoration.  When I got it up on a ramp I found 3 holes in the floor that had been 'repaired' by taping cornflake boxes above the holes and then waxoiling over them!

When I came to the second restoration of my TR6 in 2016, the body shop man found all the appalling bodges I did in 1982, saying things like "who the hell did this?" pointing at large areas of plastic padding and wire mesh in the front apron. I hung my head in shame but then remembered I had no money and it was our only family car and I needed it back on the road asap. Life has changed. New lower apron now fitted.

Mick

3 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

When I came to the second restoration of my TR6 in 2016, the body shop man found all the appalling bodges I did in 1982, saying things like "who the hell did this?" pointing at large areas of plastic padding and wire mesh in the front apron. I hung my head in shame but then remembered I had no money and it was our only family car and I needed it back on the road asap. Life has changed. New lower apron now fitted.

Mick

Yes Mick we do tend to forget the various methods of keeping the cars on the road in the 70s & 80s etc, lots of cosmetic repairs and hours spent lying in the road under the car trying to outwit the MOT inspectorate. Always fearful of an over enthusiastic inspector with a screwdriver. Lino, newspaper anything to bridge a hole, (pop rivets were a real boon). Getting hold of oxy/acetylene was always a problem to carry out weld repairs, with todays MIG and TIG welders we have it so much easier.

I work 2 days a week at a local restoration garage, today I was changing the rear wheel bearings and seals on a MGA, whilst withdrawing the half shafts it took me back to working outside under a streetlamp in the rain one January evening replacing the rear wheel bearing on a Leyland van, desperately needed the van for work the following morning, 

I'm enjoying it really bigger the challenge greater the reward.

Paul