Improved Bulb Holders

Hi,

I've done a forum search and a general google to try and answer the question I'm about to ask but end up going around in circles and getting more confused so I'm hoping there's a straightforward answer.

I've got standard rear bulb holders and struggling to get a decent earth. I've run an extra ground cable to each bulb holder but still only some of the lights work consistently. I've read about people soldering an extra tab to the bulb holders, and others using stag bulb holders. My question is, do all stag bulb holders have the extra earth tab fitted as standard?

Thanks,

Steve

That's exactly the problem I'm having Richard. I've even had a local auto electrician look at mine. He left after sorting it but after a week or so I'm back to square one

Steve, I don't know the answer re Stag holders, but I dismantled my 74 TR6 rear bulb holders and cleaned them. The outer ring with the earth tab comes away from the inner part and the contacts were badly corroded. Cleaned the contact points up and all work perfectly. Apparently you can solder the two parts together which avoids the problem in the future but I didn't realise that until after I'd put them back together

This was a well known issue with Stags. I replaced all the bulb holders on mine with units from EJ Ward which I think had earth tags......but that’s  going back 10 or more years. 

1 minute ago, iain said:

This was a well known issue with Stags. I replaced all the bulb holders on mine with units from EJ Ward which I think had earth tags......but that’s  going back 10 or more years. 

Earthing isn't my issue, It's the weak sprung contact in the bottom centre of the holder, this needs to be stronger.

Richard.

Sorry I was reading the first post and missed yours. I would still give EJWard a call and talk to them. It certainly fixed the totally unpredictable lights on the Stag.

Iain

There used to be a source for lamp sockets with an explicit ground tab, but I couldn't find it when I was faced with this problem.  The issue with the stock lamp holders is the several dissimilar metal joints on the "earth" side of the circuit.  None of them is soldered, and corrosion soon compromises them.

It is a little involved, but there is a way to provide an explicit ground terminal on the lamp holders that gives an all-copper ground path:

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-65/TR6-65.html

Ed

IMG_1494a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Thanks all. I've fitted new bulb holders to try and resolve the issue, but still have the old ones. I'll have a good look at the old ones and clean them up and see if that helps the issue