TR4 hardtop

Sorry, I don't know what happened the first time I tried to start this topic as I was unable to add any text and then could not delete the heading.

This topic is really supplementary to my "Surrey top fixing hooks" topic but its probably better to start it as a new topic.

Once I have set the car up correctly for the Surrey top, how do I go about fitting a hard top when/if needs be?

I appreciate that original hardtops are hard and expensive to come by but I have seen fibreglass tops advertised any advice as to which (if any) are worth going for would be appreciated. 

David

4 hours ago, Geko said:

Honeybourne has good reputation on here. I have the GRP lid which needed lots of adjustments though. Better order the bare lid and buy the seals and trims from the usual or otherwise specialized suppliers.

Thank you Stef, I know of this company from years ago and they are not too far from my home, I didn't know they did Triumph parts,

I'm not sure what additional parts I need to fit a hardtop but I'm sure I'll receive all the information I require from this forum. The most important thing to know is whether the hardtop will fit with my existing windscreen capping (see my post under "Surrey top fixing hooks" )

David

Check here: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hard-tops/surrey-top-fittings-tr4-4a.html

Typically you would need 30 to 41 but good luck to find 40 which is NLA and hard to find.

Also, MOSS has its Winter Sale and the lid looks cheaper than Honeybourne (MOSS offer is from Honeybourne) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/surrey-top-roof-fibreglass-9148.html

My hardtop bolts through the 2 holes in the front capping. There are 2 T shaped metal spacers that fit in the holes apparently. I have used mine for years and only recently discovered this and bought them but not yet used them. They look like part number 613508 from Moss. (These are not the same as the rubber bushes 612092 that fit in the same holes for the surrey top frame).The rear is held in place by 2 bolts through the holes in the top of the rear frame. There are rubber seals on the hardtop itself.

Can't help re Honeybourne mouldings. I have an original steel hard top that I re-lined. I got the rear surrey frame and glass, the hard top, surrey top and frame for princely sum of £300 at Malvern some years ago. If only prices were that now!

Honeybourne mouldings are in Alcester by the way - not in Honeybourne.

Keith

Just had a look at the U section metal strip that fits on rear edge of hardtop. Mine is 15mm deep, 8mm wide (outside measurement) and approx 5 or 6mm wide inside measurement. It is approx 1140 mm long. It just pushes on to the rear edge of the top. (When I say 'pushed' I mean it is a tight fit and is tapped on with a soft faced hammer.) You might be able to use the type of plastic "chrome" effect strip similar to that used on the old mini for the vertical seams. That simply pushed on as well. Problem will be finding this size of U channel since most seem to be smaller (e.g. Carbuildersolutions do one that is 12mm x 5mm).

Good luck with that one.

Keith

The rear trim piece is stainless steel and formed with multiple curves. Replicating this would be extremely difficult and expensive, so ensuring its inclusion in any kit is wise.

If you can find a metalsmith to fabricate one allow a day's work.

They were originally held in with (9) part no. 612211 clips and black caulk. All (5) lids I've come across have had the trim and the clips were buried in the gunk. Silicone caulk works fine in lieu of the black stuff.36761938_IMA68TRALBUMCOMPLETE027.thumb.jpg.abb570921ffaeff74c974421a8c11853.jpg 

Cheers,

Tom

• 4 years later...
On 12/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, keith1948 said:

Just had a look at the U section metal strip that fits on rear edge of hardtop. Mine is 15mm deep, 8mm wide (outside measurement) and approx 5 or 6mm wide inside measurement. It is approx 1140 mm long. It just pushes on to the rear edge of the top. (When I say 'pushed' I mean it is a tight fit and is tapped on with a soft faced hammer.) You might be able to use the type of plastic "chrome" effect strip similar to that used on the old mini for the vertical seams. That simply pushed on as well. Problem will be finding this size of U channel since most seem to be smaller (e.g. Carbuildersolutions do one that is 12mm x 5mm).

Good luck with that one.

Keith

Keith, i am going to give it a shot making some of these stainless strips. Would you be as kind to post a couple of close up photos of the strip in place? Thank you, Richard

Hi Richard

Will see if I can get a couple of photos to send to you. Doesn't look easy to make. Best described as a strip of stainless with sides curved up slightly and then folded so sides curve inwards. Each end then bends down to fit the hard top side profile but there is also a curve to fit the shape of the back of the hard top. Once you get the hard top you will see what I mean. As Tom has said above it has multiple curves so will test your fabrication skills.

Keith

These are very difficult to make, even harder to do so without tooling as they mark badly … this is why it was necessary to make tooling to make the section and draw the strip to form the compound curves. Then they need to be micro polished to give the nice finish that everyone wants. That’s why they are fairly pricy I’m afraid - it’s not profit, it’s cost.

Regards

Tony 

If Tony has made it then it will be good & will fit. Alternatively leave it off & have the lip painted well. When my car was restored the rear strip was not available but I had a nice spray job on the hardtop that included the lip & it looks fine without a strip. Hardly ever use the hardtop so have not justified a ‘Tony’ strip but would go that way if I were to use it more.