Inertial Reel Seatbelts

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a brand and specifications for inertial reel seatbelts for a early 1970 CP, no headrests. I am assuming that the reel can be mounted on the wheel arch below the existing seat belt attachment.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I would recommend the Securon belt model # 500/30. I have always mounted the reel on the wheel arch just above the rear deck.

Cheers

Graeme

+1 for the Securon 500/30 belts.

Replaced my old inertia reels which didn't use the additional mount on top of the wheel arch with these and they are a vast improvement.

Got mine from these folks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Securon-Seat-Belt-500-30-Lap-Diagonal-Belt-RED-/260462959756 

Chris

Edited by TRsixchris

Off topic a bit but can someone recommend where I might get some bolts to fit the mounting hole in the B post and wheel are or what thread/size.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, ed_h said:

From memory, I believe the seat belt mounts are 7/16 UNF.

Ed

Thanks Ed 

22 hours ago, graeme said:

Hi John,

I would recommend the Securon belt model # 500/30. I have always mounted the reel on the wheel arch just above the rear deck.

Cheers

Graeme

16 hours ago, TRsixchris said:

+1 for the Securon 500/30 belts.

Replaced my old inertia reels which didn't use the additional mount on top of the wheel arch with these and they are a vast improvement.

Got mine from these folks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Securon-Seat-Belt-500-30-Lap-Diagonal-Belt-RED-/260462959756 

Chris

Thank you both. They look the part in Black,are a reasonable price on ebay and postage to Australia not bad either. Any chance of a photo of them fitted to your cars? Cheers John

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, John McCormack said:

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a brand and specifications for inertial reel seatbelts for a early 1970 CP, no headrests. I am assuming that the reel can be mounted on the wheel arch below the existing seat belt attachment.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

My 1973 TR6 CR type, has two factory mounting points for seat belts on the rear wheel arch! One for static on the top of the wheel arch and one for inertia which is one the side of the wheel arch. I do not know when BL introduced these two mounting points but Graham I suspect can tell us?

Bruce

Hi John,

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. All mounted in original fixing points using the bolts etc supplied with the belts. The original inertia reals were mounted on the lower wheel arch mounting point at an angle and did not use the top wheel arch mounting these were terrible. The new ones are great, operating smoothly and more comfortable in use. My car is a 1972 CP -well actually a CC so I suspect the mounts were all present from early on.

Chris

1319004892_SeatBelt2.jpg.7ef8688ef123a1a2d7834f376b8321c9.jpg956764802_SeatBelt.jpg.d9e2b9ed62a777c69add7107e466feb4.jpg

Hi John

Reading your post you said you used original mounting points.

My car is a 72 CP, real early 72 so made mid/late 71, not sure if that makes any difference.

But mine only had the top wheelarch and bottom of B post points, both with fairly robust welded in strengthening plates, so nothing where you have the inertia reel located.

Has your's got a reinforced point or did you add one.?

Cheers

Keith

Hi 

My CP car is registered early March 72, so quite early and it had the inertia fixing holes. It did have a plastic bung in the threaded hole and it was quite difficult to find it under the under seal etc.

Edited by Kevo_6

Thank you all. I just checked and my February 1970 build CP does not have a mounting point for an inertial reel. Drilling a hole and fitting a backing plate won't be too difficult.

My December '72 CR car has the inertia reel location points but it took some serious digging to find them, even when I knew where to look. Never been used before and well covered up by layer upon layer of underseal. Easier to find from the inside by peeling back the vinyl covering on the wheel arch.

Mick

Hi Bruce,

Rather than drift this thread please see: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2020/09/1352/UK-European-Meeting-September-2020

If you want to know more or if you want to help then please send me a pm. Thanks,

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey