Best wax for new paint

Hi all,

My paint was applied almost a year ago and has never been waxed. It is 2k single stage and each panel was cut and buffed with Farecla G3, followed by G10 followed by 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine. Having now almost finished the re-build I plan to polish it again with G10 and Ultrafine and would then like to apply a good wax.

What recommendations for the best wax to use please?

Many thanks,

Sean

+1 for carnauba wax (properly applied)

my old boss who had a car body shop used Mer products on his own car but that was a looooong time ago. 

I like certain autoglym products for ease of use

Meguiars has a good name. 

I suggest whatever you start with you continue and not mix and match. 

But then I am really not a car polisher as some of the Redrose group will testify to !!

h

have you done an under car treatment ? If so which did you decide on. 

11 hours ago, SeanF said:

Hi all,

My paint was applied almost a year ago and has never been waxed. It is 2k single stage and each panel was cut and buffed with Farecla G3, followed by G10 followed by 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine. Having now almost finished the re-build I plan to polish it again with G10 and Ultrafine and would then like to apply a good wax.

What recommendations for the best wax to use please?

Many thanks,

Sean

TBH I would only repolish now with the ultrafine and then go over it with the Meguiars Show car glaze 7.

Stuart.

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Hamish, The underside had stone chip applied prior to paint and I have painted it body colour. Once mated to the chassis the whole underside has had a coat of Dinitrol Clear Underbody wax. The chassis innards and body cavities have had either Dinitrol ML or Dinitrol 3125. Hopefully she floats!

Stuart is Show Glaze 7 applied by hand or machine?

Cheers,

Sean

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Hamish, The underside had stone chip applied prior to paint and I have painted it body colour. Once mated to the chassis the whole underside has had a coat of Dinitrol Clear Underbody wax. The chassis innards and body cavities have had either Dinitrol ML or Dinitrol 3125. Hopefully she floats!

Stuart is Show Glaze 7 applied by hand or machine?

Cheers,

Sean

Hand finishing is much better and less messy than machine polishing, You have to be very clever to machine polish properly without getting swirl marks and as its already been machined off there is always the danger of going through on the edges.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Hand finishing is much better and less messy than machine polishing, You have to be very clever to machine polish properly without getting swirl marks and as its already been machined off there is always the danger of going through on the edges.

Stuart.

Thanks very much Stuart

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sean

Forget the Wax fella go for ceramic coating, Yes It may be little expensive to have applied, but it will pay didvidens, I am about to have the 6 done, I have ceramic coating (Gyeon Quartz) on my euro box, its make it so so much easier to clean and keep clean, it will also prevent swirling when washing and its Hydrophobic quality is amazing , the prep work is key and do your research on the guys doing it, I wish these coatings were around years ago, they enhance the paint and keep the paint work super shiny. You can go even further and have self healing paint film applied as well 

google it it really is amazing stuff.

Edited by Clarkey
2 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Hi Sean

Forget the Wax fella go for ceramic coating, Yes It may be little expensive to have applied, but it will pay didvidens, I am about to have the 6 done, I have ceramic coating (Gyeon Quartz) on my euro box, its make it so so much easier to clean and keep clean, it will also prevent swirling when washing and its Hydrophobic quality is amazing , the prep work is key and do your research on the guys doing it, I wish these coatings were around years ago, they enhance the paint and keep the paint work super shiny. You can go even further and have self healing paint film applied as well 

google it it really is amazing stuff.

Great until you ever need anything repainting, bit like Dynaglaze that was around in the 70`s only way to get that stuff off was with a DA you couldnt get paint anywhere near it.

Stuart

Intrigued to know what aspect of it is ceramic? 

Tim

16 hours ago, stuart said:

Great until you ever need anything repainting, bit like Dynaglaze that was around in the 70`s only way to get that stuff off was with a DA you couldnt get paint anywhere near it.

Stuart

Thought as much, read this from their website http://gyeonquartz.com/our-technology-certificates/

Silicon based and the only way to get it off is using abrasives.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Sorry Clarkey, probably wont be trying that then! Anyway I've already bought Mirror Glaze 7 as recommended by Stuart. Not used it yet though.

I was very impressed with the Mirror glaze as it brought the paint on Paul Harveys Italia literally back from the dead having had nothing done to it since the early 80`s

Stuart.

Just read this about Meguiars No7

Meguiar’s #7 Show Car Glaze is a true high-yield polish with no protective qualities. Be certain to follow application with a coat of top-quality wax such as Meguiar’s Premium Paint Protection or Meguiar’s Hi-Tech Paste Wax #26. The rich emollients and nourishing oils in #7 Show Car Glaze produce a very deep, heavy mirror-gloss shine. #7 is safe to use on all paints and clear coats.

FYI

kc

I have used Swissvax on mine since restoration and repaint, along with proper prep and the cleaner. I did have a brief dally with some other carnauba stuff, but...straight back to swissvax.