Just put a Pair of rearlight lenses on ebay if anyone needs some.

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, Lebro said:

Dear Bob  for future reference (I think they're a good mod), how much are they per set of two?

Well I had them on with a starting price of £15.99 plus postage but had no takers.

They are not a mod, just a pair of standard TR3 red lenses in good condition in case anyone needs to replace theirs.

Bob.

4 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Well I had them on with a starting price of £15.99 plus postage but had no takers.

They are not a mod, just a pair of standard TR3 red lenses in good condition in case anyone needs to replace theirs.

Bob.

Oh, sorry, my mistake! I thought they were the fabled ones with special lights, LED. Still, very good price. Were £7.50 25 years ago, methinks.

4 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Bob.

Oh, sorry, my mistake! I thought they were the fabled ones with special lights, LED. Still, very good price. Were £7.50 25 years ago, methinks.

I still make led replacement rear bulbs for the sidescreen cars, in fact I finished of 4 more only today.

have you read my TRaction article about them ? if not here is the pdf:

2nd draft Article on lighting improvemnets ALL.pdf

Happy to recommend an led upgrade for your car.

Bob.

18 hours ago, Lebro said:

I still make led replacement rear bulbs for the sidescreen cars, in fact I finished of 4 more only today.

2nd draft Article on lighting improvemnets ALL.pdf 2.41 MB · 0 downloads

Bob.

I shall read. I'm all for practicality. Aesthetics yes, museum mentality definitely not. Though I do appreciate that if TRs are still viable, it is precisely because we're such a mixed bunch. It saddens me to see silent parked cars. And frightens me if a car is too pristine. Will definitely bear in mind the mod for later. Just read your article. I'm no scientist, but understand that your bulbs aee much brighter, without cooking the plastic, that this means they make the car safer. And that you can also have different functions within the same assembly. 

The only thing that worries me is having to dabble in electrics and connect wires to the stop brake assembly switch, if that's what it's called. I'm much worse than Hamish.

Wow! Impressive and a fair bit of work. So wondering about the price. It would have to wait, for several reasons, but probably no harm in asking.

Edited by David Brancaleone
More to say
23 minutes ago, Lebro said:

David.  PM sent

Bob.

Yes, Bob, just reading and am delighted that someone has such generosity to do this. I have no qualms in saying publicly, that to do this is a major achievement which I, for one, think shows great generosity. I shall write to you privately to take this up. I always knew the back end of sidescreens was vulnerable, I remember! That feeling of having to watch your back.

A big THANK YOU from me, Bob.

PM coming up.

20 hours ago, Lebro said:

2nd draft Article on lighting improvemnets ALL.pdf 2.41 MB · 9 downloads

Bob.

This is just impressive!!

I changed the wiring of the stop light to this solution:

I also changed the bulbs to LEDs from classiccarleds and did a comparison to the filament bulbs here:

https://tr-freun.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15921 

Edited by tr2_applegreen

My solution gives the same result, but no relays required, it's all done in the bulb. Just connect the flying wire from the bulb to the stop lamp circuit.

Bob

My 3A has a centre stop lamp added from my old TR2 and fitted with Bob's LED bulbs in all the 3 rear lamps, and quite excellent they are too.

Other modifications I added were a strobe relay to the centre number plate/tail/stop lamp << https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vehicle-Car-GS-100A-LED-Brake-Stop-Light-Strobe-Flash-Module-Controller-Box-EC/362556159716  >>  Now that wakes up the following 4x4 muppets when I am braking.  The centre lamp flashing pattern is strobe 3 times, then flash 3 times and then constantly lighting up, the two outer tail lamps are as original tail/stops.   Cheap & easy fitment using bullet connectors and simple removal if required.

The other additions, front & back are two colour white/amber LED bulbs. << https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/sidelight-bulbs/products/2x-bay15d-warm-white-and-amber  >>

At the front you get white sidelamps with amber flashers beneath a clear glass lens as original.  At the rear the amber flasher is also covered by a clear glass lens instead of the original orange one (remember TR3a with separate indicators at rear) plus a the white light from the LED is used as a reversing lamps. The rear lamp required a different bulb holder, same as front side/flasher and of course the reverse lamp wiring.  Bulb holder is 27H5545  << http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Electrics/Lamps/Indicators/27H5545.aspx?090905  >>  No additional external lamps and it all works a treat.

Next mod will be hazard flasher set up and the centre stop lamp used as a  'fog' lamp.   Bob has advised me of the diode and resistor I would need to add plus the single wire feed from a fused and switched supply. 

Cheers

Peter W

6 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

The led bulbs are bright enough to use as reversing lights even with the amber beehives if you want to keep the original look. 

Thank you I will try that.

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi This is what I normally buy & supply along with my rear LED bulbs:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/sidelight-bulbs/products/bay15d-1157-white-and-amber-tail-sidelight-and-indicator-combined-led-380?variant=5999694151709

This is white (& amber), your choice was warm white - either will be fine, I prefer white myself !

You will need an LED compatible Flasher relay if you don't have one already.

I recommend this one:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin?variant=8299346853983

Cheers Bob.

Edited by Lebro
43 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Hi This is what I normally buy & supply along with my rear LED bulbs:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/sidelight-bulbs/products/bay15d-1157-white-and-amber-tail-sidelight-and-indicator-combined-led-380?variant=5999694151709

This is white (& amber), your choice was warm white - either will be fine, I prefer white myself !

You will need an LED compatible Flasher relay if you don't have one already.

I recommend this one:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin?variant=8299346853983

Cheers Bob.

Will those LED bulbs fit under the TR2 flat lenses?