TR6 Steering wheel 15 vs 14,5 inch - Advises

Hello,

For a CP '71 equipped w/ his original 15 inch steering wheel in poor condition, I found an original 14,5 inch (Later PI version) in quite good condition :)

Before a Go, I have one question: Can we really feel any difference in terms of steering effort and handling ? (TR6 equipped w/ 165/80  or 185/70 R15). Thanks' for your feedback and recommendation.

Best regards 

It is difficult to get your arm through a 14.5" steering wheel to put the key in the ignition, it drove me mad,  so I changed mine back to a 15", so much better and correct for my car year.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi All

Here's a question i do not know the answer to at all.

Were the CR spec steering wheels actually leather?

My early 71 (original wheel i'm pretty sure) def isn't, its moulded plastic made to look like leather.

To be honest the plan is the get that original wheel covered in leather as they do feel nicer and it will thicken the rim a fraction, but i wasn't aware the later ones might be leather.

Cheers

Keith

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks' all of you for the comments and suggestions, I shall check the condition of the14,5 inch, if the opportunity is good I shall go for it.  

Hi Keith, I have exactly the same steering wheel on my CP '71, a 15 inch with moulded plastic to like like leather w/ stitching  and I have the same question concerning real leather (ou not) on some earlier or later steering wheel version. For me except maybe some early early version all the CP/CR and CC/CF versions are w/ a moulded plastic.

Regards

I bought a 14 " motolita (Moss sale) to replace a 15 " wood rimmed version, feels perfectly good on my 205 width tyres.

Looking at the picture of the original wheel makes me wonder if I should have tried to get one of them though? 

My new wheel compared to the wood rim:IMG_20181123_134811_916.thumb.jpg.f19c0e06c23dbae7fc2f6d7d617e8f94.jpgGareth

Keith / Marc,  I believe all versions of the TR6 steering wheels were in simulated leather. I've had a number of all types refurbished over the years and none of them had leather originally. A good likeness but not leather.

cheers

Derek

1 hour ago, saffrontr said:

Keith / Marc,  I believe all versions of the TR6 steering wheels were in simulated leather. I've had a number of all types refurbished over the years and none of them had leather originally. A good likeness but not leather.

cheers

Derek

Thanks' Derek, your comment confirm my observations ... TR6 steering wheels only w/ simulated leather.

Regards

11 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I bought a 14 " motolita (Moss sale) to replace a 15 " wood rimmed version, feels perfectly good on my 205 width tyres.

Looking at the picture of the original wheel makes me wonder if I should have tried to get one of them though? 

My new wheel compared to the wood rim:IMG_20181123_134811_916.thumb.jpg.f19c0e06c23dbae7fc2f6d7d617e8f94.jpgGareth

Hi Mk2 Chopper,

Thanks' for the pictures, yes this steeering wheel motolita with simulated leather look very nice in your TR6 and can be also en alternative for me  (and on top of the gear lever knob on the same material is something I should not forget) , the key differences vs the original are (i) the section (diam.) of the rim and (ii) the hub + centre pad + horm push Triumph shield logo.

Regards  

Thanks, and it's real leather, 14" seems the right size, at least for an after market wheel. It's not that long ago I put the wooden gear knob in, and now back to a black one albeit a new one to match the wheel. 

Hi Mk2 Chopper, Good points, I am expecting to do the same back to the black steering wheel and black to the gear knob and on the way to rebuild and fix an original TR6 steering wheel one of the option I am considering is to put a thin leather cover around the rim.

Regards

Hi Mark, 

I have had a number of rims retrimmed in thin leather over the years. The easiest to have done are the 1969 rims as they have no return into the spokes.  

See images below of my 1971 rims, an original is on the left and retrimmed one on the right

Best of luck

Derek 

P1010723.JPG

The retrim looks good. How much is an original wheel going for these days, and are they quite easy to come by? 

Cheers

Gareth

Very nice re-trim, I shall go for this option  (Keep the original steering wheel + leather re-trim on top of the original moulded plastic)

Nevertheless, the second step (and key point now) is to address the corrosion on the 3 branches and to find a way for a nice restoration (Light polish keeping few imperfections or hard polish but the original  metallization will disappear... ) What is the best way to deliver something who look like the original aspect (w/o the separation of the Rim vs the wheel structure) maybe a specific paint (Aluminum ?) !

Any feedback on this 2nd point, thanks' in advance.

Regards

Hi Marc,

I used aluminium polish and a lot of elbow grease to improve my “silver” steering wheel. It got quite a bit better, did not damage the (electrolitic applied?) coating, but I’m not entirely satisfied. Hope others have found a better method.

Waldi

On 11/27/2018 at 8:00 AM, saffrontr said:

cheers

Derek

Derek,

The CP sales brochure claims the steering wheel is 'leather clad' and the CR one has an even greater leather feel so I suspect they are.

Cheers, Andrew 

Gareth’s  photograph of the motolita shows the tremendous improvement in the thickness of the rim, they feel wonderful. Whenever new they also show up as a slightly grey colour in a photograph, but they are much much darker and age to a beautiful black- my top choice every time.

(Personally, I’m not a fan of the wooden wheels)

...... Andy 

I don't mind the wood rim, but they never seem a good match to whatever dash wood work is fitted, the black suits it better I feel.

Interesting point about the colour it shows when new in a photo, it certainly looks darker in the flesh,  but for sure the slight increase in width is great.