Cracked Seat frames

Hi All

Cracked seats frames, err or maybe not.

As mentioned before I have my seats, well one of them at a bare frame stripped down point to retrim.

Now the frame all looked ok so I gave it a light rub down and quick paint and all was good, or so I hope.

When reading other posts about re-trimming the seats etc. I’ve noticed lots of comments about fatigue cracks. Now i didn't really think about the frame cracking and only gave the frame a quick once over and it looked ok.

So my hopfully quick question is where are the common weak points so I can recheck this seat again and make sure my other one is ok when I get round to stripping that one.

Cheers

Keith

7 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Cracked seats frames, err or maybe not.

As mentioned before I have my seats, well one of them at a bare frame stripped down point to retrim.

Now the frame all looked ok so I gave it a light rub down and quick paint and all was good, or so I hope.

When reading other posts about re-trimming the seats etc. I’ve noticed lots of comments about fatigue cracks. Now i didn't really think about the frame cracking and only gave the frame a quick once over and it looked ok.

So my hopfully quick question is where are the common weak points so I can recheck this seat again and make sure my other one is ok when I get round to stripping that one.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

My advice is to check every weld as I had at least 15 broken welds per seat frame and check the tubing on the back of the seat frame near the seat base for fatigue cracks. This is all  best done in day light conditions when checking, as some will be difficult to spot. In manufacture the set frames are only welded on one side of each joint but mine are welded on both sides now, have not had any more trouble since doing it 10 years ago!

Bruce. 

Hi Bruce, Many thanks' for your return on experiences, I just checked my frames over the we, I identified few weak points to address and will  weld on both side.

Best regards