The "flip front" cars certainly give good access but as a party pooper I keep sort of worrying about what happens when you have a frontal impact accident at say 40mph ?

These cars were never designed to have "crumple" zones and whatever crash protection there is depends upon inner and outer wings having secure (as much as poxy spire nuts, or the sidescreen cars integrated cage nuts) fastenings transferring shock and deformation rearwards into the engine firewall and front bulkhead give.

I would worry that even the poor protection given by that method would be compromised by flip front securing which I can't see would transfer the shock, and don't have enough experience on the shell strength on side screens or even Michelotti cars despite having raced for 7 years, but it's the sort of thing I worry about. Having restored a good number of both these sort of designs Stuart would probably be the best to give an opinion based upon experience of that sort of thing.

Having finished up racing a TR7 V8 which had crash protection foam sprayed and filled inner spaces between inner and outer wings and front apron, saving my neck figured quite high upon my priorities. 

Mick Richards

Edit: Just seen the last two posts ref fibreglass fronts being made to give the flip front. Above comments "with knobs on" !

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Other postings whilst writing.