Early TR2 Thermostat Housing

My Doretti has the very early TR2 engine with the early style of thermostat housing with a triangular cover plate.  Can someone help me locate new hardware, including the two bolts that mount the housing to the block and the bolts holding the housing together?  The catalogues I looked at don't list or describe that hardware.  The housing is badly deteriorated, and I just can't wait anymore for the Spares Development Fund to finish their project to make the housing available again.  It is very disappointing to wait years for an SDF item they said was all ready for production long long ago, but it just never seems to happen.  I am now trying to restore my old housing but the hardware is all frozen and the dissmilar metals has resulted in lots of corrosion.  The mounting bolts are all frozen and about to break.

Cheers

Dan

Well, sometimes one has to wait for things as it's seldom easy to get projects such as this off the ground, in this case because of the small quantity and the number of operations and parts required.  The SDF has taken a gamble and has commissioned the production of 50 of these early TR2 thermostat housings - there won't be any more than that.  We hope to have something to display at the Spares Show in February, but it's unlikely to be complete then as there will be more parts (it's really an assembly) to be added.

I recollect that the TR4A cylinder head project took a considerable time to come to fruition, but over 600 have been sold!  Likewise with Revington's superb TR4A/250/5 front sidelights.  And the crankshafts for the good old 4-pot haven't yet been listed for sale by Moss (but I'm told that's very near!).

Ian Cornish

• 3 weeks later...

For now my original thermostat housing does not seem recoverable, but an ambitious forum member with more generosity than sense has offered to give it a go, as he has restored other items made of this material.  I greatly appreciate the help through the forum and the item is on its way to Scotland!  Now, having to knuckle under to get the car going, I have fitted a later thermostat housing.  But since I had the old original radiator with the hole in the center of the tank, my top hose is offset and does not want to marry up between the thermostat housing and the radiator.  Is there a custom type of radiator hose that would do better at this fitting, or should I try something else?

Radiator.thumb.jpg.bf4145b4d5fcfaa86bd05678c16c3bc7.jpg

Possibly difficult given your location but most Autoparts stores will keep a type of convoluted flexible hose that would do the trick or if your nice to them they may let you have a rummage through their stock to find one suitable (It may need cutting down too)

This is the sort of thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-EPDM-Wire-Reinforced-Rubber-Coolant-Water-Air-Heater-Radiator-Hose/371676223792?hash=item5689a11930:m:mVq0EvwzEoYXWVSCciDcihA:rk:2:pf:0

Stuart.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2018 at 10:53 PM, ianc said:

Well, sometimes one has to wait for things as it's seldom easy to get projects such as this off the ground, in this case because of the small quantity and the number of operations and parts required.  The SDF has taken a gamble and has commissioned the production of 50 of these early TR2 thermostat housings - there won't be any more than that.  We hope to have something to display at the Spares Show in February, but it's unlikely to be complete then as there will be more parts (it's really an assembly) to be added.

I recollect that the TR4A cylinder head project took a considerable time to come to fruition, but over 600 have been sold!  Likewise with Revington's superb TR4A/250/5 front sidelights.  And the crankshafts for the good old 4-pot haven't yet been listed for sale by Moss (but I'm told that's very near!).

Ian Cornish

Was there a display of the early thermostat housing at Stoneleigh?

Dan

6 hours ago, 2long said:

Was there a display of the early thermostat housing at Stoneleigh?

Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, there were blank castings of the double thermostat housing at/on the TR Register stand for a few hours. Pete Cox brought it along to show the other SDF team members and has the machining out for quotation. Mike Ellis has a couple of photographs which he may well use in his next registrar's report. 

Regards
Ian

Would be interested to know what the projected cost is likely to be. Given the minimal number of early cars that need this I imagine the take up to be small therefore this is likely to be a very expensive item?

What was used as the model/buck/basis for the manufacture, An original Nos one or good used item? With fake part number or none to differentiate between replica and original? Likely points to be deducted from concours scoring?

As always interested in the detail.