Hi

I recently bought a TR6 which is unfit for the road and needing a full resto.

The log book that came with the car was ok although the cc was wrong currently stating 3,200 so when it was sent off i pointed this out (probably my mistake pointing out thier error)

DVLA  asked for photos of my car which i sent

They then refused to issue a v5 registration doc as the car was clearly unfit for the road ?

I now wish to insure my car and a question raised "is the registration in my name" ... No hence my problem as its not.

Do they have a right to rufuse to issue a v5 after all lots of cars are un road worthy and sorned all with current v5,s

Any help ?

Steve,

Is/was the car the subject of a previous SORN?      If not, forget the DVLA until it is ready for the road.     They aren't concerned by cars appearing out of workshops that had disapperaed from their books without a previous SORN.      You just re-register it again, although for ever after you must declare SORN if that is the case.

Then, establish your ownership with the insurer (I presume for fire, theft only) by other means.  Explaining the situation to them may help, but not to their idiot robot or any old call center operator.    Ask to speak to someone in charge!     If they want a DVLA registration in your name, change insurers!

JOhn

1 hour ago, steve johnson said:

Hi

The log book that came with the car was ok although the cc was wrong currently stating 3,200 so when it was sent off i pointed this out (probably my mistake pointing out thier error)

They then refused to issue a v5 registration doc as the car was clearly unfit for the road ?

I now wish to insure my car and a question raised "is the registration in my name" ... No hence my problem as its not.

Do they have a right to rufuse to issue a v5 after all lots of cars are un road worthy and sorned all with current v5,s

Any help ?

I had my TR6 amended as the body number was printed as the chassis number in th V5C. It also showed first registered December 1978 even though it is a 'G' registration. They wrote to me asking to have a photos of number plates front and rear, and of the commission number affixed to the nearside wheel arch. The car is not roadworthy and I don't recall being asked that question, though they gave me a strict deadline to file the information. They did then amend the V5C with the support of a Heritage Certificate and an email from the TR Register TR6 Registrar, and it turned out the 1978 first registration was in fact due to a previous owner losing the log book. The registration was original, but the process of obtaining a new V5C was not easy.

I would have thought they should issue a V5C as you are the new keeper of a registered motor vehicle irrespective of whether it's roadworthy of not?

Kevin

2 hours ago, steve johnson said:

Hi

Any help ?

Hi Steve,

I have had a bit of experience dealing with the DVLA to amend a V5 on an old BSA motor bike where the DVLA had transposed the engine number wrongly from the original log book when they first issued V5's. I only found this out when I asked for a history trace of previous owners for the princely sum of £4.00 but they do not do this service anymore? My V5 was wrong for over 35 years! The key question for me is have you got a heritage cert. as I know this is a must with the DVLA.it shows that the car's details are correct!  I assume you know the original Reg? Have you SORNed your car in your name? The DVLA are very curious when it comes to changing details on cars that have been off the road for years as they worry about cloning and they have had their fingers burnt too many times, this was one of the reasons why they stopped doing history traces. If I can be of further help PM me.

Bruce.

Re: insurance. You can always insure a car on its Vin / Chassis number for build up / restoration purposes. I have done this now as mine is an import and not yet regstered with DVLA.

steve

DVLA are in a total mess at the moment when it comes to old vehicles ,the departments have new staff ,and apparently a new computer system , there is no reason that you cannot apply for the original registration in your name under the V765 system , and the car does not need to be roadworthy, it will however need to be Authorised and stamped by the TRR club or a similar club. depending on your location Either myself or my fellow officer chris mountford would be happy to advise you.

graham

20 hours ago, tr graham said:

steve

DVLA are in a total mess at the moment when it comes to old vehicles ,the departments have new staff ,and apparently a new computer system , there is no reason that you cannot apply for the original registration in your name under the V765 system , and the car does not need to be roadworthy, it will however need to be Authorised and stamped by the TRR club or a similar club. depending on your location Either myself or my fellow officer chris mountford would be happy to advise you.

graham

As I have already said take the easy route get a Heritage Cert. but also remember that if your car is not on SORN. DVLA can give your original REG. away to somebody else. This I have now seen done many times, when people have re- applied.

Bruce.

On November 23, 2018 at 5:34 PM, john.r.davies said:

Steve,

Is/was the car the subject of a previous SORN?      If not, forget the DVLA until it is ready for the road.     They aren't concerned by cars appearing out of workshops that had disapperaed from their books without a previous SORN.      You just re-register it again, although for ever after you must declare SORN if that is the case.

Then, establish your ownership with the insurer (I presume for fire, theft only) by other means.  Explaining the situation to them may help, but not to their idiot robot or any old call center operator.    Ask to speak to someone in charge!     If they want a DVLA registration in your name, change insurers!

JOhn

Hi 

Many thanks for the replies John, Kev, Bruce, Richard, Graham

The car was never sorned when it was stored away and I was unaware I could lose the original registration

I think I will look into the heritage certificate route and getting it sorned some how

Many thanks for the advice

Steve