Thoughts/ advice

I've just joined your forum after seeing the TR stand at NEC classic

for years (they are many) I have thought about purchasing a TR5, it all started when I was 16 building my first car IMP, a friend of my dad came across to help change the clutch and he turned up in his TR4a so thats how it all started. Now I feel the  TR5 is out of reach for what I want as a new project, so in my opinion the next best option is a TR250 project. My questions are what are peoples views about converting to RHD, I'm not worried about the task /work to do this more how people accept converted cars if and when I come to sell ( it will happen as I like the project work).

On a same vane I would like to convert to FI and my thoughts I would ideally like to use an old PI manifold to do this but I have read there might be an issue with spacing that I need to get my head around, but again do people see this as a good thing or not.

It seems that plenty of owners fit MX5 seats to their cars so I am presuming that this is a worthwhile mod?

I look forward to your replies but go gently on me

Hi Chris,  There are often TR250 Projects turning up these days, and I presume that you are in the UK and going to be driving the car. So conversion would be far more convenient  for you.  Yes for resale you have the European market if you keep it LHD. 

Sounds like you are converting anyway, there is no real stigma for converted  Imported cars,  maybe a little on resale, but no more so than straying from say the Original Colour. 

Bets of luck, 

Conrad.

9 hours ago, Chris-L said:

On a same vane I would like to convert to FI and my thoughts I would ideally like to use an old PI manifold to do this but I have read there might be an issue with spacing that I need to get my head around, but again do people see this as a good thing or not.

It seems that plenty of owners fit MX5 seats to their cars so I am presuming that this is a worthwhile mod?

I look forward to your replies but go gently on me

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you were to buy a TR250 it would have twin Stromberg carb induction. The spacing between the inlet ports on the cylinder head will be 17mm. The spacing between the inlet ports for PI throttle bodies are at 22mm. The exhaust ports spacings are the same on both USA carb cars and UK PI cars.

All the manifold mounting studs are the same on both USA and UK heads so you can physically fit PI inlet manifolds to a carb head but the ports will not align correctly. There will be crescent shaped area of misalignment on one side of each port. Hope that's clear? To overcome the misfit you would have to buy a UK PI cylinder head if you want to fit PI.

Lots of people have fitted Mazda M5 seats. With headrests they provide head restraint in the event of an accident, they are more comfortable, they fit into the narrow TR cockpit and have adjustable rake backs, unlike the TR5/TR250 seats. While all MX5 seats will fit, the MX5 Mk 2 seats are the best option as they have separate headrests which look more in keeping with the TR period as opposed to the fixed headrest type.

Dave McD

Hi Chris welcome 

No connection to either but a couple of possibilities for you to consider, whereabouts in the country are you ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tr-250/233018191538?hash=item3640f76eb2:g:ow4AAOSwIS9b-QF7:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR250/132863355775?hash=item1eef45eb7f:g:tY4AAOSw29Jb9UJi:rk:17:pf:0

Hi Graham,

why the PI. Awful smelly things.

Seriously, they run on the rich side as they have no accelerator pump.  Can be smelly in the cabin and very smelly when running behind on.

Why not go for triple SU's  -  yum yum - performance and economy

Or triple Webers - performance and   er  er  performance.

I don't know if you will have the same head alignment problems but worth considering

Roger

Thanks for all your comments Graham I had seen the white one advertised and I could be interested in that , not seen the primed one will take a closer look, need to look at my finances 

Roger I personally like FI, not PI hopefully you might be impressed by my current setup, these are actually FI, modified by my self to make these into Throttle bodies, the injectors are hidden under the manifold so gives the impression of triple Su's. 

Picture of my Replica Jag hopefully I can add a Triumph

carbs.jpg

36499859_10215570454390545_8308688966542950400_n.jpg

Edited by Chris-L

Chris personally wouldn't bother having a 250 head ported, would go for a UK spec head and start from there sure I saw one on the 'Bay' the other day listed at £30 

8 minutes ago, Graham said:

Chris personally wouldn't bother having a 250 head ported, would go for a UK spec head and start from there sure I saw one on the 'Bay' the other day listed at £30 

Graham

£30 thats a no brainer, must try and find that do you have the link?

I think Ive located that its just down the road from me at Chinnor

Edited by Chris-L

Chris just pm'd you the link 

14 minutes ago, Chris-L said:

Graham Thanks for the link, I'm following that now do you know how I identify if this is PI head the head number is 516816.

Chris look at the cylinder head identification chart

https://www.chriswitor.com/technical.php

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Chris,

That looks good.  EFI 

Roger

Yes Chris; as Roger said, your Jaguar replica does look good.  Was is made by Suffolk Sports Cars home of the SS replica?

I was at the Brooklands Auction viewing on Friday, where amongst various exotica, I spied an interesting copper coloured RHD Converted TR250. It can be seen on line. It went for £26,500 plus 12% auction charges.

Brendan

When I fitted PI to myTR250 many years ago I found out about the port misalignment after I had paid to get the head skimmed the correct amount.

I ended up attacking the ports to make it work, and to be honest it all worked pretty well, but I wouldn't have bothered if I had known about the alignment issue to begin with.

I swapped to RHD as I didn't really want a LHD car, and since I have had it 26 years now it was well worth the effort.

I certainly wouldn't bother with PI now, I am a great fan of Megasquirt and now have 2 Triumph Stag engines running on it as well as a Rover V8. The great thing about the straight six being the ready made throttle bodies rather than having to fabricate complete inlet manifolds as I have to do with the Stag engines I am working with most of the time. I am currently working on my 4th injected Stag engine which resides in 2.5 PI estate.

I too love working on new projects, I just have a problem selling them afterwards, which is why I now have 5 Triumphs!

Neil

Graham, thanks for the link reference head identification, I'm learning all the time.

Rod, I knew I had forgotten something today I was out on a car treasure hunt and totally forgot:angry:

Brendan, no I built mine myself over 12m using a Realm body and chassis, it was featured on Mike Brewers car clinic at this years Silverstone classic, this is the first replica build car he has shown at this show

Neil, my C type is also running a megasquirt with edis ignition, the carbs I line bored and sleeved out to 50mm, made new butterflies fitted TPS, the manifold was machined for the injectors and a bespoke fuel rail was made, its a great engine the car drives like a modern car starting on the button great smooth power deliver. Oh and a certain manufacture mentioned above are now making a copy almost identical to my design, strange they followed my updates on FB.