MENNO's watch thread continued

Just thought Menno could check up here, this watch business can get really snobby so lets have some ordinary ones.

I got the Rotary for my 21st thats 51 years ago, then reputed to be the thinnest watch available....dont know if its true.

Bought the Casio for novelty value it had no hands!!  by far the better timekeeper, the swatch. from a second hand shop and The Breitling a present from HWMBObeyed.

Menno let us know you have returned.

P1070187.JPG

Edited by pfenlon

I did have a Casio with an analog face that was completely LCD.    An alague is easier to read than digital.   Only the hour markings were permanent.    The hands were LCD and a blip moved around the face to simulate a seconds hand.   I thought it was the face of the future!     NO moving parts, and cheap as chips.   But it eventually stopped working, and I've never seen another.

John

In my impecunious youth I made the mistake of buying a Sinclair 'Black Watch' kit.  This was when LED watches were new and trendy but very expensive. The Sinclair kit was at least affordable but needless to say the thing was a disaster.  As with all LED watches the display was power-hungry so you had to press a button to light it. Not only did the press buttons regularly fail to work, the case used to self-destruct too at intervals.  blkwatch1.jpg.017dc705c8fc5fb0bffcd9f363840f01.jpgblackwatch_kit.jpg.d0c3fc5170a91a8cfd29859efc2df44d.jpg

Back to watches with some intrinsic value briefly. Lots of classic watches are languishing in sock drawers because of rip off estimates by manufacturers for service and repair (sound familiar?).

My wife had inherited a 1950's Cartier watch from a much loved Aunt about 10 years ago. Cartier wanted £2k+ to service and repair then. It was consigned to the back of a drawer. A couple of years ago I asked Menno if he knew someone good, reliable and honest in England who could help. He put me on to Rich Askham at http://www.thewatchspotblog.com.

Service was exemplary. Rich was easy to work with and very clear about work, timing and costs at every stage for what was quite a modest job ultimately.  Cost was considerably less than Cartier's estimate. Now it may not have all Cartier parts, because these companies will not supply them to independents! So a bit like our classics, but now it is has a new life and my wife was beyond thrilled.

Have just recommended Rich to a friend whose wife had a Rolex gathering dust for years. Last year they wanted £5k+! to service and repair. Rich is taking this on again for considerably less and another classic watch will have a second life.

Even if you do not have a classic watch in need of reviving, have a look at the website.

No connection with the business, just a (very) satisfied customer.

Miles

14 minutes ago, RobH said:

In my impecunious youth I made the mistake of buying a Sinclair 'Black Watch' kit.  This was when LED watches were new and trendy but very expensive. The Sinclair kit was at least affordable but needless to say the thing was a disaster.  As with all LED watches the display was power-hungry so you had to press a button to light it. Not only did the press buttons regularly fail to work, the case used to self-destruct too at intervals.  blkwatch1.jpg.017dc705c8fc5fb0bffcd9f363840f01.jpgblackwatch_kit.jpg.d0c3fc5170a91a8cfd29859efc2df44d.jpg

Worth quite a bit today.

Pete

In 1972 I saw an electronic clock in a shop window. It used Nixie tubes and had a price tag of £2000. I thought “I could build one of those for 25 quid!”
So when I came back to the UK I set up a business (The Trend Serendipity Co ) and produced a batch of 5 clocks, cased in shiny chrome steel boxes.

I’ve never been a very good salesman, but I took my samples down to Bond Street, London, and tried to sell door to door to the high-class jewelers in the area.

After about an hour I met an elderly Jewish man who ran a clock and watch shop.

He smiled.
“My Boy” he said. “Digital clocks and watches are just a fad. They will never catch on.”
Having the greatest respect for elderly Jewish shopkeepers I believed him.
I got the train back to Leamington Spa and gave up.

I’ve still got one in the attic somewhere.

Charlie.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

In 1972 I saw an electronic clock in a shop window. It used Nixie tubes and had a price tag of £2000. I thought “I could build one of those for 25 quid!”
So when I came back to the UK I set up a business (The Trend Serendipity Co ) and produced a batch of 5 clocks, cased in shiny chrome steel boxes.

I’ve never been a very good salesman, but I took my samples down to Bond Street, London, and tried to sell door to door to the high-class jewelers in the area.

After about an hour I met an elderly Jewish man who ran a clock and watch shop.

He smiled.
“My Boy” he said. “Digital clocks and watches are just a fad. They will never catch on.”
Having the greatest respect for elderly Jewish shopkeepers I believed him.
I got the train back to Leamington Spa and gave up.

I’ve still got one in the attic somewhere.

Charlie.

Your adviser was right, Charlie, in the long run.

I Googled for "wrist watch" and looked at the Images page.  Of more than 200 watches les than 20 were digital ,or had a digital display on an analog face.     
Conversely, on a similar search every single example of a "radio alarm clock" was digital!  So maybe your mistake was not to include that!

John

I'm sure I had a Casio like yours Pete, can't find it, but this is what replaced it, not used (or seen) for at least 6 years - surprise to find it still working (& on BST)

20181123_133013.thumb.jpg.855ad79309d3c9daf300b9e8b58b9822.jpg

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

Back to watches with some intrinsic value briefly. Lots of classic watches are languishing in sock drawers because of rip off estimates by manufacturers for service and repair (sound familiar?).

My wife had inherited a 1950's Cartier watch from a much loved Aunt about 10 years ago. Cartier wanted £2k+ to service and repair then. It was consigned to the back of a drawer. A couple of years ago I asked Menno if he knew someone good, reliable and honest in England who could help. He put me on to Rich Askham at http://www.thewatchspotblog.com.

Service was exemplary. Rich was easy to work with and very clear about work, timing and costs at every stage for what was quite a modest job ultimately.  Cost was considerably less than Cartier's estimate. Now it may not have all Cartier parts, because these companies will not supply them to independents! So a bit like our classics, but now it is has a new life and my wife was beyond thrilled.

Have just recommended Rich to a friend whose wife had a Rolex gathering dust for years. Last year they wanted £5k+! to service and repair. Rich is taking this on again for considerably less and another classic watch will have a second life.

Even if you do not have a classic watch in need of reviving, have a look at the website.

No connection with the business, just a (very) satisfied customer.

Miles

thats good advice thank you Miles.

21 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I'm sure I had a Casio like yours Pete, can't find it, but this is what replaced it, not used (or seen) for at least 6 years - surprise to find it still working (& on BST)

20181123_133013.thumb.jpg.855ad79309d3c9daf300b9e8b58b9822.jpg

WoW thats a posh one Lebro, I was surprised to find the Casio at the back of the drawer and even more amazed it still worked.

• 5 weeks later...

I presume this is Menno off the TZ watch forum he posts over there his Tales from the workshop which at this time is the restoration of a TR6.