Changes caused by crossing the Atlantic

Over on the Triumph Experience, a TR6 owner was asking for help in removing oil gallery plugs, a common problem.  But he said that a restoration shop had plugged the rear-most one in the gallery,  where he wanted to place the oil pressure guage line.      I pointed out that the right place for this was the port just above the oil pressure relief valve, and he had no need to remove the gallery plug.

But then another American poster tells me that US TR6s had the oil gauge line from that rear gallery port.     I'm surprised, and grateful to be educated, but why would Triumph do that?   Was the LHD steering shaft in the way???

JOhn

You can see on this TRF diagram that there is an adapter AH14 that screws into the oil gallery and the rear of the engine. There is a connector that screws onto the adapter with a hard plastic line going up to the oil pressure gauge. It is located exactly where a wrench would hit if you dropped it and the plastic line will rupture where the brass fitting is inserted. Ask me how I know.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/15.php

Stan

Thank you, Stan!

Compare and contrast with the same but different diagram from the Rimmers site: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600002

There may be others, but my eyes aren't that good!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I think Stuart's point is that with the metering unit in place that rear oil gallery hole might be hard to access so for the PI cars they use an oil gallery hole to the left of the MU, the one just above the PRV. My TR6 is snowed in at the moment but when I get a chance I will go take a closer look. We just have the dizzy and the fuel pump to deal with, no MU so I'm guessing they could have used any oil galley hole and they just chose the one nearest the gauge.

Stan