New motor mounts for Tr4a

Folks, I noticed that the fan hub on my 1965 TR4a is very close to to the top of the steering rack. Therefore I’m  guessing that the engine mounts are due for replacement. I’ve read discussions regarding the use of the Tr4 style round mounts vs the Tr4a style rectangular mounts. My car currently has round mounts. Would that style of mount have any bearing on my car having a live axle?

Also I have read that some Tr4/Tr4a owners use Rover mounts, as they are stronger and make the motor sit a bit higher. Has anyone here used these, and if so, what model/year Rover mounts did you use?

Finally, any tips/tricks for raising the motor enough to replace the mounts? I’m wary of using a jack under the oil pan for fear of crushing it or the gasket.

thanks

Jim

My 4a had round mounts as when I restored it 25+ years ago that was all that was available back then (They were even genuine Stanpart as well!) I replaced them last year as I had the engine out to fix leaks and enlarge its capacity and used the Landrover mounts instead, they do make the engine sit higher but be careful as it can give fouling issues. Oh and a large piece of wood across the sump will spread the load enough to stop damage.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Jim,

the replacement 4A mounts that are square 'should' be better but I believe they are not.

I used these 

www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

not sure if you can get them in the US.

If the mounts are not high enough you could space them out with large washers.

Roger

I contacted John Richards Surplus, and they list the mounts as part STC434. Unfortunately they do not ship to the US. I did a google search for that part and found a place called LR Direct that does ship to the US. However they have several listings, with a wide range of prices based on manufacturer; from “Britpart” at $1.75, to Land Rover at $37.81, and several in between. Should I just pick one mid priced between the two extremes or are they all pretty much the same quality?

thanks

Jim

Thank you Roger, that’s a very kind offer. I will PM you my address.

Peter, that shouldn’t be an issue as long as the proper nuts are included, right? The car’s mounting surfaces are just holes, not threaded, correct?

Jim

1 hour ago, Tr4aJim said:

Thank you Roger, that’s a very kind offer. I will PM you my address.

Peter, that shouldn’t be an issue as long as the proper nuts are included, right? The car’s mounting surfaces are just holes, not threaded, correct?

Jim

Hi Jim,

8mm nuts - plain holes.

I will not include the nuts in the package to save weight/money:).

They will be in a letter that follows later:blink:

Roger

50 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Jim,

8mm nuts - plain holes.

I will not include the nuts in the package to save weight/money:).

They will be in a letter that follows later:blink:

Roger

I think the LR ones are M8 nuts arent they?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

aren't 8mm and M8 the same ?:mellow:

Roger

Depends on your perception of that answer, 8mm nut could be taken to be 8mm across the flats which is pretty much equivalent to a 2BA spanner or a 5/16" spanner whereas an M8 threaded nut which is a 13mm spanner size but is almost the equivalent of a 5/16" threaded nut which is a 1/2" spanner size.:blink::ph34r:

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

With the holidays over, I’m getting around to replacing the motor mounts (thanks Roger) on my TR4a. I got the nuts off the existing mounts and I’m ready to jack the engine up. I loosened the transmission mount and the upper radiator hose, and have a piece of wood under the oil pan. Is that all I need do, to be able to jack the engine high enough to clear the mount bolts? Or does the exhaust down pipe need to be loosened as well?

thanks

Jim