Barn Find Prices

Hi All

Now TBH i'm out of touch with prices of cars for restoration since i bought mine, err "cough cough" years ago.

but this one seems a little steep.

Sure its an early one but...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-tr6-1970-uk-r-h-d-BARN-FIND-for-full-restoration/382627101235?hash=item59165a3a33:g:rt8AAOSwTZhbulDJ:rk:4:pf:0

Any takers

Cheers

Keith

I would say its priced as such (though there is the "Make offer" option) because its not as rotten as a lot of the ones that have surfaced lately.

Stuart.

Given the present market conditions and the pictures I don't think that it too far over the top pricewise. But, there is a fair amount of work and expense required to bring it up to a reasonable standard. Certainty worth a punt - make him an offer but, go and see it first; never, ever buy blind.

Jon.

The right side sills are gone, in that photo. The floor edges are likely in need of replacement. The chassis/box frame needs to be carefully inspected- it is very likely corroded thin in some places. I think the asking price is unrealistic for the current condition. The entire car needs to be rebuilt with a fair amount of rust repair. Is that what you want?

Of course, it could be much worse- it depends on how you want to spend the next years of your life.

Six years ago I purchased a rust-free decent condition driver for that money, but it wasn't PI.

Edited by Sapphire72
43 minutes ago, Sapphire72 said:

The right side sills are gone, in that photo. The floor edges are likely in need of replacement. The chassis/box frame needs to be carefully inspected- it is very likely corroded thin in some places. I think the asking price is unrealistic for the current condition. The entire car needs to be rebuilt with a fair amount of rust repair. Is that what you want?

Of course, it could be much worse- it depends on how you want to spend the next years of your life.

Six years ago I purchased a rust-free decent condition driver for that money, but it wasn't PI.

Yes but your in the US and resto projects over there dont make same sort of money and the market has moved hugely in the last 6yrs.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Sapphire72 said:

Over here that would be a $1000 car. Either way the cost of the car will be a small fraction of what it will cost to fully restore it and in the big picture that purchase price will be noise. Given it is the UK and a PI car the asking price doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

Stan

Hi All

As I said I’ve lost touch with what for restoration cars make these days since I got mine, but it does look fairly rotten, sills etc. and given my experience on my car (ok the only one, lol) it was far worse underneath, esp. the chassis.

But if that’s what a UK Pi goes for these days they've kept ahead of inflation since i bought mine.

One day I’ll put my before and after pic's on here, well once its finished,   ,   ,    if I get there!!!

Cheers

Keith

US project cars will fetch less simply because there are more over there by about 10:1 hence why they are brought back to the UK to satisfy demand albeit at a lower price than a UK car. Earlier PI cars seem to fetch a premium but being UK cars as we know they rot just like this one as said it will be worse once you start and it looks like it needs a lot of panels which ain't cheap. Overall given the engine starts its probably a fair price

Well for double the asking price you could have had a choice of I think 5 at the last Brightwells auction that were usable....... The guide prices for those entered in next week's auction might make some materialistic owners weep!

Regards

Bill 

14 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Well for double the asking price you could have had a choice of I think 5 at the last Brightwells auction that were usable....... The guide prices for those entered in next week's auction might make some materialistic owners weep!

Regards

Bill 

Operative word being "Guide" good way to get people in with the hope of a bargain. They have seriously underestimated the values for the Etypes too.

Stuart.

Hey Tom thats what PI stands for isn't it?    .......... Pedigree Included.

The US cars are out there in quantity but will always be US cars irrespective of how much time and money is spent to make it into a good car, albeit without the PI. Hence the considerably lower price.

I also saw this early TR6pi come onto Ebay and I too thought it was plenty money considering the considerable cost to "put right". Knock a grand off or more and get to £4,500 and you will have paid enough in my opinion............. serious bills ahead I'm afraid.

As Bill says you would be far better picking up a genuine CR TR6PI at auction say for £10K and having an on-going "make it better" car than this project.

Alan G

28 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

Hey Tom thats what PI stands for isn't it?    .......... Pedigree Included.

The US cars are out there in quantity but will always be US cars irrespective of how much time and money is spent to make it into a good car, albeit without the PI. Hence the considerably lower price.

I also saw this early TR6pi come onto Ebay and I too thought it was plenty money considering the considerable cost to "put right". Knock a grand off or more and get to £4,500 and you will have paid enough in my opinion............. serious bills ahead I'm afraid.

As Bill says you would be far better picking up a genuine CR TR6PI at auction say for £10K and having an on-going "make it better" car than this project.

Alan G

Hi Alan

Depends how much of a project you want?

A "make it better" can in the long run cost more than taking on a rotter which once done you know is sound as even a good car can have hidden secrets once you start looking closer.. Personally I get as much pleasure working on a car as I do driving them.  

Andy 

Operative word being "Guide" good way to get people in with the hope of a bargain. They have seriously underestimated the values for the Etypes too

The E Types didn't reach the lower guide price so ended up "Not Sold" Stuart. The 1962 was guided at £85k to £90k, the 1970 £60k to £65k and the 1971 V12 £35k to £40k.

The 73 yellow TR6 guided at £8k to £10k was "Not Sold", the 71 red with no reserve made £11k and the 73 red with Heritage shell guided at £8k to £12k made £11440.

Regards

Bill 

Maybe because I'm on a phone but I don't see a price

No good asking me, heavy power engineering not computing!

I gather the 62 E Type highest bid was shy of £50k so it looks as it prices have halved in less than 2 years.................

Regards

Bill 

21 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Maybe because I'm on a phone but I don't see a price

No good asking me, heavy power engineering not computing!

I gather the 62 E Type highest bid was shy of £50k so it looks as it prices have halved in less than 2 years.................

Regards

Bill 

All that means is there was no one there who wanted it as thats all it bid to.None of the Etypes sold The auction wasnt that well advertised either.

Stuart.

This was at a recent  h and h auction at buxton

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/91/lot/43067/?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F91%2F

made £1912.50 inc buyers premium. 

Now on ebay. 

Triumph TR6 BARN FIND needs restoration, spares or repair, lhd https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123530143673

Already made money 

h