Dowty Seal - Lucas Fuel Pump

Hi Everyone,

I have a small fuel leak at the junction of the fuel pump outlet and compression fitting on the Lucas Fuel pump.

Does anyone happen to know the size so I can source locally?

Im hopeful that someone has jotted the size down when they replaced theirs.

Thanks

Andrew

9 hours ago, AndrewP said:

Ok..for those playing at home I'll answer my own question.

The union needs a 1/4" BSP self centring bonded washer (or dowty seal).

Hopefully that will solve my fuel smell in the boot (already have the barricade lines everywhere)

Stockists in your hemisphere.....

http://www.sealsolutionsaustralia.com.au/product/dowty-sealsbonded-washers/

From this chart it looks like you want size 021  1/2" hole is 1/4 BSP according to chart.

https://www.sealingaustralia.com.au/bonded-washers/

Cheers

Peter W

Peter,

I only discovered “Dowty seals” about a year ago. (Not actually used them yet.)

Would you say that they are OK to use anywhere that an original copper washer was used?

My particular problem is with a 3A master cylinder reservoir, where the unions come out of the bottom.

I can see other places (hose into clutch slave?) where they may be a good idea to use.

Interested in your comments on the matter.

Charlie D

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Peter,

I only discovered “Dowty seals” about a year ago. (Not actually used them yet.)

Would you say that they are OK to use anywhere that an original copper washer was used?

My particular problem is with a 3A master cylinder reservoir, where the unions come out of the bottom.

I can see other places (hose into clutch slave?) where they may be a good idea to use.

Interested in your comments on the matter.

Charlie D

TBH you would probably be better of replacing the tank with a new one with the improved seal in the top and brake fluid impervious paint.

Stuart.

Thanks Waldi,

Didn’t think of that. I will research before I try them.

Stuart, in an ideal world where I had more money I’d do that.

I know we are not talking a lot of money, but there are so many things that I could replace that are “Not a lot of money” individually.

In the end they all add up to many hundreds of pounds (Which I don’t have to spare.)

Charlie.

17 hours ago, stuart said:

TBH you would probably be better of replacing the tank with a new one with the improved seal in the top and brake fluid impervious paint.

Stuart.

I have used Dow seals as they were originally known as for years! Lucas used them on their PI System in the 1970s and when I was a buyer I bought 1000s of them for inclusion into OEM Gasket Sets as they were listed on the OEM's parts list. Provided that the rubber compound is Nitrile as a minimum, Viton preferred, I would have no hesitation in using them on my TR6 and have done for over 40 years with out problems. They are better than copper washers in problem leak areas.

Bruce..