Suffolk seats from moss

Hi Friend of mine had them in his 6 and subsequently replaced them with the MX5 ones as he found the Suffolks  made him sit to high in the car, he's not that tall either so just consider this before purchase. 

Try and see if you can sit n a few different types before you part with your cash 

I went to the expense of importing a pair of Suffolk seats all the way to Austraila.

The seats are of very good quality except.

They dont fit all of the TR6 seat bolt locations as stated.

They are way high in the squab so I had to change the steering wheel to a 13" Moto Litre and then do a lot of cutting and bolting to reduce the height of the front squab supports. A total pain after they have cost me $1500 each.

Suffolk arent any help either.

Now that they have had these drastic mods they seem pritty good.

Wouldnt go that way again however

• 8 months later...

I am going through that pain right now.  I ordered a pair of Suffolk Seats from Moss as their website said they just bolt straight in.  Having re-trimmed and re-carpeted the car I get round to fitting the seats and the seat runners aren't long enough.  I asked Moss for a set of longer runners.  No they don't do them and sent me instructions telling me to drill holes in the floor.  Which I can't do as the holes will go straight into the chassis members - no way of fixing nuts underneath.  I emailed Suffolk (Newton Commercial) suggesting they supply longer runners which could be cut to length and they said they had looked into this and their customers preferred to drill holes in the floor.  Most unhelpful.  I have drawn up a set of extension brackets for my garage to weld up.  I would rather drill holes in the runners than the floor. 

I haven't got as far as finding out if I'll sit too high or not.  I already use a 13" MotaLita so may not have a problem.

My 4 had Moss Classic seats fitted when I bought it, they looked nice and were comfortable, but only for someone considerably smaller than me.

After checking various measurements of different combinations with kind folk on this forum i swapped them out for Mk II MX5 seats and all is  well.

....... Andy 

EDIT:  on a more positive note, I was able to sell-on the Moss Classic Seats I removed for just less than I paid for the MX5 ones, so, it wasn’t a big financial hit! 

Edited by AndyR100
On 11/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, Holmgren said:

Hi

thinking about to buy new seats from moss, anyone with experience of the Suffolk seats in leather, or the classic range seats?

Best to get mk2 mx5 seats. I got mine from Paul Bishop near Winchester, he can supply the adapter brackets as well.

Darren 

10 hours ago, TonyM said:

I ordered a pair of Suffolk Seats from Moss as their website said they just bolt straight in. 

<SNIP>

I asked Moss for a set of longer runners.  No they don't do them and sent me instructions telling me to drill holes in the floor.

So, they DON'T just bolt straight in. Send them back. It's the only way these suppliers will learn I'm afraid.

Cheers, Richard

3 hours ago, DRD said:

Best to get mk2 mx5 seats. I got mine from Paul Bishop near Winchester, he can supply the adapter brackets as well.

Darren 

Hi Darren, are these the best for the TR6, ie fitting, looks, height etc? I am thinking of changing mine to something more comfortable, so a couple of photos of yours fitted would be appreciated? Also any idea what I could get for mine, they are in very good condition?

Also cant seem to find Paul Bishop online does he have a website?

Cheers, Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Cheers, Colin.

I have sent Paul’s contact details via PM

...... Andy

3 hours ago, c.hydes said:

Hi Darren, are these the best for the TR6, ie fitting, looks, height etc? I am thinking of changing mine to something more comfortable, so a couple of photos of yours fitted would be appreciated? Also any idea what I could get for mine, they are in very good condition?

Cheers, Colin.

Hi Colin, I think this is a fairly well trodden path, the seats fit well and are much more comfortable, whilst still in keeping with the car. I kept my old seats just in case I need them again in future. I'm afraid I've only managed to find this photo of them but I'm sure you can find more if you do a search.

Cheers Darren 

20190810_135619.jpg

On 8/10/2019 at 7:46 AM, AndyR100 said:

My 4 had Moss Classic seats fitted when I bought it, they looked nice and were comfortable, but only for someone considerably smaller than me.

After checking various measurements of different combinations with kind folk on this forum i swapped them out for Mk II MX5 seats and all is  well.

....... Andy 

EDIT:  on a more positive note, I was able to sell-on the Moss Classic Seats I removed for just less than I paid for the MX5 ones, so, it wasn’t a big financial hit! 

Having had the seat runners welded up so they fit the existing floor holes, I fitted the seats.  And hit another problem.  Not the issue of sitting too high that someone else mentioned, but the side of the seat back touches the hood frame and with use the seat will end up damaged.  Plus it is all too tight to get the seat belts passed. Sadly I have come to the conclusion that I will have to remove them and replace them with something else - probably MX5.  They should never be sold as a straight replacement - they are not.

+1 for the Mx5 seats and the mk2 version with the separate headrest to my mind looks best! The floor brackets, I got mine from TR traders. The seat runner will need a slight modification... ie flattening out at the forward end. I bolted the floor brackets direct to the floor pan of the car under the carpets. (I have seen some bolted over the carpet). One thing with the Mx5 seats you must not use the Mx5 seat belt point. So remove that and discard it. And use the one that attaches to the strong point on the car as per original. Finally an MGF seat belt guide as perfect at keeping the shoulder harness tidy. (Usually find them on fleabay).