engine vibration

Has anyone had experience of engine vibration to the extent it shakes the hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir?

The engine has done 61K since professional rebuild and is in great condition.

Could it be engine mounts? Is there a damper strut somewhere?

Edited by TR3ADerek

Sounds like the engine mounts may be shot or soft.

On a Tr4 there is a "Torque reaction arm" which fits on the front of the engine plate across the car and "abuts" the side of the chassis, there's a little rubber buffer on it which can be wound out to stop the engine twisting when the torque is released. I'm not sure if it's shown on side screen cars but it could probably be "afterfitted".

Mick Richards 

14 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Sounds like the engine mounts may be shot or soft.

On a Tr4 there is a "Torque reaction arm" which fits on the front of the engine plate across the car and "abuts" the side of the chassis, there's a little rubber buffer on it which can be wound out to stop the engine twisting when the torque is released. I'm not sure if it's shown on side screen cars but it could probably be "afterfitted".

Mick Richards 

Not sure you could fit one of those to a 3a as the front engine plate is different.

Stuart.

Welcome to the forum Derek. The TR3 engine and tranny is only supported by three points - two engine mounts and one mount at the rear if the gearbox. If any of these have gone soft or broken completely the engine and tranny will jump around under torque. If the engine mounts have gone soft they will probably also allow the engine to drop at the front and you should see that by looking at the cooling fan. In extreme cases the fan will hit the radiator. If one or the other engine mounts had actually broken put a jack under the engine and start to lift it and see what the engine mount does.

Stan

Edited by foster461

Many years ago I went to look at a TR4 in Birmingham and it had the left hand engine mount completely broken off and at tickover the engine leapt about all over the place!

Stuart.

Thanks all, I think the first thing is to replace the engine mounts. I bought this car in May this year, and there was no problem to start with. I think the car had little milage in the last 5 years or so. I particularly like the cocktail shaker, bit expensive way of doing it though! Thanks Fireman049, I'll have a look. Cheers Derek

Am not sure about vibration, but I think everything on my 3A was put together (by me) correctly but fluid has always “misted” out of the pin hole on the lid of the reservoir. Not a lot, just enough to ruin every bit of paint it touches. The attached photo is of the reservoir lid from the TR3 (I polished and painted it) I’m now working on. Not only does it look cool, when I get things together I’m hoping it will eliminate the reservoir “mist”. Paul F99D2621-13BE-4970-9026-9DC26E2C0FDF.thumb.jpeg.0a6452bb8c521fa48cfff696a318f28f.jpeg

If this is an older fluid reservoir ( as in a early repro) they do leak. Those now available have a nice rubber lid seal that appears to stop the problem of misting and leaking through the vent.

Iain

But then it gets very close to the bonnet. I have a tight bend under the reservoir and have considered cutting a small well to loose the pipework. They say that a later lid works better. TR4

Good luck Richard & B..