MOT Exemption process

Hi All

I thought that it might be useful for me to share my experience in trying to register for MOT exemption.

Having downloaded and complete the V112 form I took this, with the new tax car tax renewal form, to the main

post office in Bromley; my local post office said that could not deal with this.

It turned out that I was the first person who had applied for the exemption and they were unsure about the process. They were really helpful

and the three counter-staff conferred for a bit and then looked through their on-line and hard-copy guidance and concluded that they just had to 'see' the completed V112.

They 'looked' at the form, then completed the tax renewal. I asked what proof I had that the MOT exemption had been processed and they were unsure re. this.

We agreed that they would stamp the V112 with their Post Office stamp - so hopefully this would suffice if necessary.

Given the number of classic cars I see around in Bromley I was surprised that I was the only individual who had applied for the exemption. Perhaps other members of the

Bromley classic car community are sensible enough to just continue with MOT tests. I will probably also do this but I just wanted to be covered incase I decide that my own do-it-yourself' skills are sufficient.

So, if the process followed by the PO counter-staff was correct,  I suggest that if anyone seeks MOT exemption they should obtain the 'official' PO stamp, this being at least some proof that the form has been seen.

Best Wishes

Ernest   

I've heard some people try to tax online and find the status is already confirmed as it was for pre 1960 cars. I've not come round to it yet so will have to see what options I have at the time, but thanks for sharing your experience

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this, am about to go through this process for a TR6 thats been off the road for 25 years.

Dave

ps live in West Wickham

• 2 weeks later...

Getting towards the final stages of a long restoration for a car that's been off the road since 91.

Decided to go to the PO today to get the tax class changed from PLG to Historic.

Thought it was going to be difficult but couldn't have been easier.

The lady took the log book, scanned it, changed it and kept page one. She then asked if I wanted to tax it, said yes showed her the MOT exempt form and its now taxed.

Insurance next and one Magenta TR6 lives again. Well almost, hood and a few other bits to do.

I had the same thing as cookie with my TR4.  PO kept V5 front sheet and said 2-3 weeks will get new one.

Just looked at V112 and gave it back.

But Nope. V5 never came. After 6 weeks rang up and they said yep we forgot to send it out. (No apology).

When I got it 3 days later now says 'Duplicate Document' and no details of previous owner, but does say Historic Vehicle.

RobG

• 2 weeks later...

Earnest,

Thank you for sharing this information. I have just checked on the HMRC website and as you say we do not need an MOT on car over 40 years old with minimal changes. Although, I will still obtain an MOT on all my old cars, it's nice to know that it's not mandatary now.  Regards John. the