Rimmer aerosol paint

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of using aerosol spray paint from Rimmer Bros ?

I am sorting out my engine bay, prior to converting back to petrol injection. Before I ordered the paint from Rimmer Bros, I phoned them to ask the spec of the paint - they just said solvent based and I would also need to apply a clearcoat . I assumed that would mean the paint would dry mat - it has dried somewhere between satin and gloss - should I use a gloss clearcoat ?

Any advise would be most welcome as always.

Thankyou.

Mark.

Hi Colin,

Nearly there with the paint, did you use a clearcoat on top of the Rimmers paint ? I got everything out of the engine bay apart from the engine block/head, so just need to be happy it is right before I put everything back and do the PI stuff.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards.

Mark.

What was the temperature when you painted? How light were the coats? The heavier you put it on the shinier it will look, although there is a risk of runs if  you go too far. Also the lighter it is the more the overspray will lay on the semi dry surfaces. You may find you can buff it up with some cutting compound. Any pictures?

Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

Temperature was good, the garage was warmer than inside the house.

Some areas are more shinier than others, will put another coat on.

Will post some pics when done.

Mark.

Hi All,

Getting there with the engine bay sorting. Problem is, the Rimmer paint is darker than the paint on the outside of the car, although it has come out the same as the engine bay colour before I started. Is this just fading of the paint on the outer panels ? or have I done something wrong ? Please see attached pics.

Thanks.

Mark.

015.JPG

Hi Mark

What is the colour you have used please, mine is Carmine Red and how many aerosols does it take to do an area like your engine bay. Just curious as i'm starting to consider paint options.

Thanks

Paul

55 minutes ago, Mark Ogram said:

Hi All,

Getting there with the engine bay sorting. Problem is, the Rimmer paint is darker than the paint on the outside of the car, although it has come out the same as the engine bay colour before I started. Is this just fading of the paint on the outer panels ? or have I done something wrong ? Please see attached pics.

Thanks.

Mark.

015.JPG

How much older is the outside paint? And is the can matched to your car (via analysis) or just the same colour code? What about the primer used? There are loads of reasons why it appears darker, the only true way to get it the same is spray the outside at the same time from the same paint. The good thing is its not like a front wing next to the door that are different shades, do you think you can live with it? It's a great job though. 

Gareth

Hi Paul,

My colour is Damson, I used 6 cans of aerosol, plus around 3 cans of grey primer.

Good luck with your engine bay refurb.

Regards.

Mark.

017.JPG

Hi Gareth,

Only had the car since July, so don.t know how old the exterior paint is.

The paint is just from Rimmer's (Damson) not too concerned, as it is the engine bay.

I do, however, need to paint the front valance, but need an exact colour match - any advice ?

Thanks.

Mark.

I think you'll need to go to a paint supplier that can scan your car and then produce a can with that unique mix to match the current condition of the paint. I'm sure I saw a discussion on here about this very subject. 

Gareth

Damson (and all red shades) will fade badly and are always extremely difficult to match, you may find a good hard polish will brighten up the outside to get a better match. Also you never know if the outside has already been painted and if it was a mixed colour there is no guarantee that that was a correct mix anyway.

Stuart.

I had some areas of paint redone recently and to ensure a good match my painter took the car to his paint suppliers. It turned out that the best match was a land rover red with a slight additional tint.

When it came back, to quote the late Eric Morecambe, you can't see the join.

Brian