Can anyone recommend good quality boot hinges for my TR5? This morning the screw in section just pulled straight out of the hinge assembly, stripping the thread. Exactly the same thing happened about 6 months ago and the replacements (Rimmers or Moss) just do not seem up to the job. One of my local group has mentioned Revingtons doing uprated hinges in the past for TR3’s, so I will give them a ring tomorrow, but wanted to ask for any guidance here first.

Mike

Hi Mike,

TRShop may use Moss items but usually the sell good parts.

Revington should be good if they say the are.

The stud that goes into the  hinge is 1/4 UNF have you considered a helicoil - this would be stronger than the original Ali thread/stud.

Roger

Hi Mike

I had a problem with mine the first time I went to fill her up, opened the boot to get the fuel additive and the left one was undone. Lid got chipped by the fuel cap as it came off.

Not worried about the chip as looking to get the whole body work done next few months but wouldn't be happy if it comes off again. All I did was re tighten.

I was at a show few months ago and one 4A or 5 owner had fitted a piston type opener and had removed the one sided slide hinge, he could adjust the tension accordingly and it did look very good, suspect it will cost far more than a couple of hinge bolts though.

B) Mike

I always take the studs out of new hinges and refit them with thread locking compound and make sure they are snugged right in but not overtight as the casting is soft.

Stuart.

Thanks guys. I spoke to Revingtons, but they only have uprated hinges fabricated for TR2’s & 3’s. They did supply me a set of standard hinges for my 5, telling me they have not had an issue with returns, but did seem to think some people may have had problems. As already posted, it’s important to fit correctly handed (left & right) and not overtighten. Thanks Stuart, I used a suitable loctite and all seems ok for the time being. Fingers crossed.

Mike