Best source for mohair hood

Hi All,

I want to buy a new soft top mohair hood for the 3a. Can anyone recommend a UK supplier for high quality hoods please? As the quality of aftermarket parts for our cars us very variable I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I will also be looking for a stick bag and tonneau double-duck at some point soon and ideally from the same supplier.

Cheers, Ian

As you know, I don’t mind an upgraded TR, but a mohair hood is not for these cars.

Consider this: how will you store this bulky item in the back of the car. Folding it will destroy it! Ugly creases!!

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I have a tonneau made from Stayfast and a hood made from vinyl.  I accept that vinyl is the period correct material to use for a TR but the Stayfast tonneau is brilliant.  It is an easy material to handle, folds down a treat and doesn't shrink in cold weather like vinyl.  See if you can get hold of a sample, it is much lighter than standard Mohair.

Rgds Ian

57 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Save the Mohair campaign

These are now an endangered species. When was the last time (or even first time) that you saw a Mohair.

First Crimple (used for crimplene shirts) now the Mohair

Where will it stop.

Roger

Roger

you are looking for the wrong creature. No wonder you can’t find them. 

You should be looking for a Mo. 

Still very rare, there are a few in captivity being shorn bi annually I believe for their Mo-hair.

H

5 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I have a tonneau made from Stayfast and a hood made from vinyl.  I accept that vinyl is the period correct material to use for a TR but the Stayfast tonneau is brilliant.  It is an easy material to handle, folds down a treat and doesn't shrink in cold weather like vinyl.  See if you can get hold of a sample, it is much lighter than standard Mohair.

Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian,

I agree regarding shrinking vinyl, my Lotus Seven roof (about 10 years old) and old TR3a (about 30) both have shrunk slightly, colour has faded, are curling up a bit at the edges and, in the case of the TR3a become quite hard / brittle. So, whilst I always try and keep my restorations as close to original as possible I allow myself sensible upgrades (e.g. P&P steering, improved brakes, 72 spoke wheels / wider tyres, better lighting etc) so I was looking for a better material for my hood, tonneau and stick bag, a sensible upgrade that would keep its looks longer

I have been doing lots of research. Stayfast Mohair, is made from bonding two sheets of woven Mohair either side (so it looks good inside and out) of the layer of self- sealing waterproof neoprene; this provides a very stable base for the Mohair. Apart from the quality and stylish look, a Stayfast hood has many advantages over Vinyl: Once fitted, Stayfast doesn’t shrink, doesn’t fade, has a longer life, can pressure wash clean etc, so once it’s fitted you don’t need to worry about it too much.

I really like the feel and look of Mohair but Menno's comments above regarding creasing have me worried. Do you keep your Tonneau folded in the boot and does it crease as a resultAccording to the suppliers it doesn't crease but they are trying to sell me something so I don't know it I can trust the information. Lastly, if we ignore the purist POV, do you think the Stayfast material in bleack would work as a hood? Why did you go vinyl for the hood when you went Mohair for the tonneau?

Cheers, Ian

Edited by boggie
name change