Folks,

I'm about to pull the rear axle on my green TR4  which has an original Salisbury LSD fitted. The current axle is shot for a number or reasons (courtesy of a DPO welding the nuts to the axles... ) so I am going to fit an American Tr4a live axle for it's preferred strength but have the LSD rebuilt & fitted into the new axle. My question is - who in the Country is best to go to for a rebuild on my Salisbury LSD?

Thanks

I have looked at my axle spares stock and done some measuring. 

These spares are for the Salisbury unit as fitted in Dolomite Sprint originally but adapted to TR3-6

I have 6 NOS flat eared clutch plates. plus a few used other plates.

From my tech measurement files:-

NOS - TWO of the internal star clutch plate washers are 0.094 inch thick when new ( my new kit had 2 of each size in it)

NOS - TWO of the internal star clutch plate washers are 0.095 inch thick when new ( my new kit had 2 of each size in it)

NOS - The eared flat clutch plates are 0.096-0.097 inch thick.

NOS The eared bellleville dished eared clutch plates are 0.097 inch thick.

From samples I have in my drawer;-

Used -  The internal star clutch plate washers are 0.092-0.094 inch thick

Used -  The eared flat clutch plates are 0.094-0.095 inch thick

NOS - The eared flat clutch plates are 0.096 - 0.097 inch thick

Used - The eared belleville dished eared clutch plates are 0.097 inch thick but have wear marks on the high spots.  One of the washers I have is cracked - see photos.

Examine the wall of the casing the eared washers bear on for plate ear witness burrs.

Examine the cross pin that supports the gears for cracks.

Examine all gear teeth for cracking or hardness wear.

Racetorations offer a plate set for LSD - ask them if it is suitable if you get stuck.  Do not forget to use Castrol LS oil - product B373  https://www.gartrac.com/shop/b373-ls-diff-oil.html

When reassembling remember that if you move the internal star washers so they are against each other, rather than spaced by the eared washers, it will set a different 'slip' load for the axle shafts.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Good point about the right oil for LSD`s. Always remember someone coming in with a complaint that his diff was creaking and groaning on a 3.8MK2 Jag, (Standard fitment on them is a Salisbury LSD) Panicking that he might need another diff, turned out his local garage had refilled it with ordinary EP diff oil. Change to LSD oil and all the noise disappeared

Stuart.

Thanks Gents, I'm definitely running with the correct oil but the grey paste is a little extreme....!

I saw them Stuart but I'm sure there used to be a company that specifically rebuilt/serviced axle units including the old Salisbury units, nothing against the simply performance team but if there is dedicated rebuild company I'd rather use them than one that does the LSD's as part of a greater service provision.

Nice set of spares Peter but the workings of the LSD are the one & only place I haven't ventured with a spanner and would rather buy in the service from an expert in the field if there is one.

I'll do a bit more digging...