Headlight Bulbs

Why not unplug the short headlamp loom from the other end, I.E. near the horns, then pull through the grommet ?

Bob.

P.S. to answer your question, there will be a small bent metal tag on the insert which needs to be pushed to one side in order to extract it.

Edited by Lebro

I have the same low cost NightEye LED bulbs as Andy and Roger, so far no issues over nearly one year of use and no problem on recent MOT test. I do not really understand the concerns over heat generation with LED bulbs. I have run through the night with these bulbs illuminated for around ten hours almost continuously and both headlamp glass and bowl remain cool to the touch. They run considerably cooler than incandescent halogens, indeed snow will build up on a headlamp with an LED bulb whereas if a halogen bulb is fitted the extra heat will prevent this! Perhaps a point in favour of halogens but for me although I appreciate the superior illumination provided by the NIghtEyes the real plus is the much reduced power consumption since I am still running with a dynamo.

Tim

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Took the course of adjusting via the short wiring loom.  All back together and levelled.

Prior to shortening the original wiring to tidy up things under the bonnet, would Halogen bulbs still work with the power pack in the line? Has anyone tried.

Just a thought as if not I may need to carry some spare LED bulbs in place of the Halogens in the boot if I shorten the wiring.

Phil.

18 hours ago, tim hunt said:

I do not really understand the concerns over heat generation with LED bulbs.

Tim, it's the LED itself. The hotter the LED the lower its efficiency (light output) and the shorter its life. Without sufficient heat sinking the poor little thing would fry itself in no time!

Cheers, Richard

Thanks for this clarification Richard. I always believed in the maxim that you get what you pay for and was dubious about my NightEye bulbs at sub £20 the pair but so far so good, I cannot detect any falling off in performance so the heat sink of claimed advanced design must be doing its job.

Tim

18 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Thanks for this clarification Richard. I always believed in the maxim that you get what you pay for and was dubious about my NightEye bulbs at sub £20 the pair but so far so good, I cannot detect any falling off in performance so the heat sink of claimed advanced design must be doing its job.

Tim

+1

Roger

My MOT inspector has seen the 'light' and he has no objections with these at all (Classic Car LEDS) as the beam patterns are the same. HID will not pass fitted into the normal reflector.

So happy days and I am now lit up like a Christmas tree with all bulbs changed to LED.

The rear wing marker lights have the brightest red Leds in and the benifit from the rear is you can see them as well as the rear lights.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

I asked my MoT garage on Thursday if he would pass my TR5 with LED headlamps, explaining the reticence that has been highlighted on here by some testers. He said that he would have no problems with passing them as long  as the alignment was set up correctly.

I'll be looking for some at next weekends Classic Car Show.

Dave McD

I don't think Classiccarleds do these shows (which is one reason why they can do lower prices than most) 

They were not there last 2 years, so you may do better to buy on line. 

Roger seems to have been lucky with his "Chinese" ones, there are a lot of cheepos which don't make any attempt at proper dipped beam cut off.

Bob.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Quick question about H4 headlight bowls to replace my sealed beams.

So at the start of this thread Bob puts H4 LED's in his Valeo Cibie type lamp units.

My questions is how much better (if any or lots) are these premium branded lamp units rather than the ones available at the usual retailers such as Rimmers branded Wipac or Ring.

I would imagine that any H4 lamp unit with a good buld is going to be much better than my old sealed beans, but if the diff between the new units is not much in it i'd rather not pay for the brand name and spend it on better bulbs.

Cheers  Keith

Hard to say without a direct comparison of the beams. I would say any H4 lamp unit is likely to be streets better than the old sealed beam ones, Then stick a good LED H4 replacement bulb in & you will have very good lights.

Bob

This picture shows my sub £20 NightEye H4 LED bulbs on dip and main beam. Not the clearest of images but I think the excellent reach along the nearside verge and the sharp cut off on dip beam can be seen. Suffice to say that oncoming vehicles do not flash me when I am on dipped beam and I take that as the best indication everything is OK. The car also passed the last MoT in September with no advisories.

Tim  

Dip Beam.JPG

Main Beam.JPG