Headlight Bulbs

Just fitted a pair of LED H4 bulbs to my '3  Very impressed.

I previously was using Osram Night Breaker Halogen bulbs, lamp units are The modern Valeo (Cibie) type

Photos showing comparison (see titles)

LED bulb                                                                                                                                LED   dip                           Night Breaker dip

91550539_LEDH4Bulb.thumb.jpg.fdae2fb2561fb7b4616fbf18dfce0d58.jpg 907395718_LED-Nbreakerdip.thumb.jpg.b5a4a8465e72a9f8b798d9631ae0205d.jpg

LED main                                  Night Breaker main

1407201202_LED-Nbreakermain.thumb.jpg.7a999f49dcb0b9df01d5b9783f128ab7.jpg

They come with a separate electronics box, but it all fits withing the headlamp shell.

They came from "Classic car LEDs"   no connection, just a satisfied (regular) customer.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Yes Bob as Roger says much brighter. The asymmetric cut off on dip looks good, due to the excellent Valeo light units no doubt. The acid test will be if any oncoming drivers flash you when you are travelling on dipped beam. Some feedback on this would be very helpful when you have had a few night drives. The LED light looks so bright that I reckon reflections from some road signs might  dazzle you! On the recent Club Triumph RBRR I was very impressed by the LED headlights of Alan Chatterton's Stag estate and had wondered how similar bulbs would perform in my Valeo units. I was almost tempted  invest in a pair at the NEC show last week. I am pleased with the Philips Racing Vision bulbs on my 4A, they are the best and 'whitest' uprated H4 halogen bulbs I have found to date but one can never have too much light, provided other drivers are not inconvenienced. The potential power saving is also of interest to me as I am still running a dynamo.

Tim

Roger.

Price is as per web page:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615

These will not dazzle oncoming drivers because the dipped beam cut off is identical to the the Halogen bulb, I have similar LED bulbs in the (Cibie) headlamps on my 1935 Hillman (6 volts) I have driven that at night many times, & have had no complaints.

I think the "Range Rover" HID lamps cause problems partly because they are so high up compared to our lights.

Tim.

I have had no problem with being dazzled by reflections from signs when in my Hillman, which has a 6 volt version of these

(which cost a lot more from a different supplier)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Just a point on fitting HID bulbs, Class 4 test manual section 4.1.4 Compliance with requirements states

existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs, if such a conversion

has been done you must fail the headlamp.

Harvey S. Maitland DVSA AE

Some more pictures, taken in an unlit road, & in a car park, looking into woods.

1094162652_LEDdip1.thumb.jpg.bcd1445141211a6463d0ee7fad916f9e.jpg         210271472_LEDmain1.thumb.jpg.bbb113f4ce4a791066fe3fa096fc76f9.jpg  

1168897826_LEDdip2.thumb.jpg.160b42c03c413e5f0d7323401a132437.jpg         439891990_LEDmain2.thumb.jpg.029436aaf00d65a2a77451eb041a902b.jpg

While driving (on unlit road, I was switching from dip to main, & back pretty often as oncoming traffic appeared, must have passed at least 30 cars,

none flashed me, & I'm sure my dipped beam was well below their eyeline.   I am very happy with them.

Bob.

Bob they look very good. I really  regret having bought a spare set of nightbreakers for our recent trip....you can bet the ones in action will last for ever!

Iain 

none flashed me, & I'm sure my dipped beam was well below their eyeline.   I am very happy with them.

Bob.

You were lucky Bob,  parking in a wooded carpark flashing your lights would get a different response around here....try searching "dogging spots in the New Forest " ;)

On 11/16/2018 at 6:27 PM, Dave I O W said:

Hi Bob, They look good  I think I'll get some for my 5 thanks for all the information,

Cheers

Dave.

I currently have Halogen Wipac lamp units on my car would thes'e  LED bulbs fit ok or do I have to change to the Valero cibie lamps, 

Or are the Valero lamps better?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.