Fuel tap rubber seals.

On the fuel tap plunger, which you can take out by releasing the little side grub screw, there are two rubber seals or o' rings. On inspection I found that these were breaking up and causing a bad leak. Does anyone know whether these are obtainable rather than buying a new tap. I don't see them available with Moss or Rimmers, unless I 've missed it. Are they o'rings? if so what size are they or a they a special seal.

Many thanks

Rob

The seal was originally cork not rubber

I put the details in the catalogue but the cork alone was not drawn as a separate item.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/tanks-pumps-pipes/fuel-tank-pipe-pump-tr2-3a.html

104818C is the cork seal for the plunger on its own.

104818 is the tap assy.

Peter W

I replaced the cork seal in my tap with a short length of fuel pipe (chosen to match the diameter of the cork), this has lasted fine since 2013 with occasional use to change my in-line filter.

Bob.

The  reproduction cork seals i have bought have not been a great success. It is advised by the supplier to soak in oil. This i have done.....after 3 year of soaking they still don't provide a leak free solution.B)

I used some Viton "O" rings in the interim, they have worked and don't leak, they are very tight mind! I cant find the size details at the moment....

Iain

Edited by iain

Thanks for all your replies

I did buy a cork seal from Rimmers with the last lot of goodies. However, when I took the tap off I was a bit baffled how the cork seal was fitted! Is it fitted by undoing the small screw on the tap furled nut, which then releases the bottom of plunger into which the cork seal is inserted? If so I am a bit stuffed as over the years the head of the screw has been damaged and I couldn't undo it.

I was interested in the suggested fixes by you Iain - Viton o rings - if you could give me the size, and Bob with the fuel hose fix. In either case do I still have to get the screw out?

Rob

Just an update. 

Attached is a photo of the 'plunger' part of the fuel tap, together with the two o rings that are damaged - one more than the other. The o rings are 13mm by 2mm and I've just ordered some Viton o rings from an ebay listed supplier.

Also in the photo is a cork seal bought from Rimmers which, unless I'm missing something, clearly doesn't go with this particular fuel tap. I bought the cork seal before taking the tap off the car expecting it to fit! 

I'm a bit baffled!

Rob

S7300457.JPG

34 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Hmmm  never seen that type before, it's probably better than the cork seal type.

Bob.

+1

Peter W

PS Reason seal is nadged is because it slides past a radial hole, that if it has any sharp edges will cut the seal periphery.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Don't use cork as cork is not solid wood but consists of little bits of cork bonded together. The bonding is not ethanol resistant. The cork will then disintegrate. Rubber is not resistant either so recommend you go to viton instead.

Viton is resistant.

You can size the o-ring internal diameter and thickness by measuring the slots they fit in. There is a formula to allow for some slight expansion/ compression of the rings which you should be able to find on the internet.

Keith

I quite like this filter/tap similar to my old sp250

but a lot of money

JAGUAR SERIES ONE FUEL GLASS BOWL WITH SHUT OFF VALUE TAP USED https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323455138501

If that combined tap & filter is placed between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, there could be problems as the suction applied to the filter can cause it to collapse and block the supply of fuel.  This problem was reported by another member a few years ago (was it Roger or Brian Chidwick?). The filter needs to be under pressure (not suction), so should be located between pump and carburettors.

To answer RichardTR3A: if no tap, then it's very difficult to stop fuel spillage if work is required on the fuel pump. Foolishly, Triumph failed to fit a tap to TR4 onwards, but those of us used to sidescreen cars insert a tap before the pump.  The tap can also be used as an anti-theft device, along with removal of the rotor arm.

Ian Cornish

24 minutes ago, ianc said:

If that combined tap & filter is placed between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, there could be problems as the suction applied to the filter can cause it to collapse and block the supply of fuel.  This problem was reported by another member a few years ago (was it Roger or Brian Chidwick?). The filter needs to be under pressure (not suction), so should be located between pump and carburettors.

Ian Cornish

This inline filter was between the tank and original pump. 

Is it the suction that has distorted the filter then ?

h

4D8669DA-0B49-433C-A58C-8E1F0CC9BCB9.jpeg

It will only collapse if it is installed the wrong way round. there is no difference between sucking (into the pump) or pushing (out of the pump) as long as the lower pressure is around the outside of the paper element, & the higher pressure is in the center.

Bob.

Thanks bob. 

I didn’t know that. I just fitted it with the flow arrows the right way. 

So in my case if I fit it as you say any particles will be out of sight in the middle of the filter. 

(Also makes sense re the filter and tap eBay link I posted as my SP250 had the S.U. pumps in the boot !)

I’ll add the filter swap to my to do list. 

H

14 hours ago, Hamish said:

I quite like this filter/tap similar to my old sp250

but a lot of money

JAGUAR SERIES ONE FUEL GLASS BOWL WITH SHUT OFF VALUE TAP USED https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323455138501

They do their job well, they can cope with the fuel requirements of 4.2 litres through two HD8 carbs so would cope no problem with a TR`s required flow.

Stuart.