I've Been Robbed

22 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hamish, you have PM.

John.

Thanks John

you are a STAR. 

H

On 11/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, Hamish said:

I spent the weekend trying to refit my gearbox. 

I got it to within an inch of fitting. 

It just wouldn’t go. 

So with defeatist resignation I struggled to get the box out convinced that the clutch plate was wrong. 

So clutch off as well. 

The clutch plate fits the gearbox shaft. They are a very precise fit aren’t they. 

So I am now back to a flintstones style  TR3a. 

H

:(:(

Went through this myself some years ago. 

I fitted 3 longer studs in the top position of the engine block.    Once hanging on the three studs I pushed the gearbox easily into place.  I had to twiddle the output flange with the gearbox in gear a little bit, as the front clutch spline was not quite aligned.  This is because the stud location stops you rotating the bell housing for spline alignment.  I used a skateboard and scissor jack under the g/box to roll it into place.

Peter W

37 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Went through this myself some years ago. 

I fitted 3 longer studs in the top position of the engine block.    Once hanging on the three studs I pushed the gearbox easily into place.  I had to twiddle the output flange with the gearbox in gear a little bit, as the front clutch spline was not quite aligned.  This is because the stud location stops you rotating the bell housing for spline alignment.  I used a skateboard and scissor jack under the g/box to roll it into place.

Peter W

Thanks Peter/ everyone. 

I tried the (single) longer  bolt at the top of the engine  gearbox mounting to support and guide the box.

I had a trolley jack on my lie on crawler that was on a large plywood panel. Smooth movement was the idea I supporting the gearbox/overdrive.

Also tried moving the output of the gearbox (in gear) to line up the splines. 

Still wouldnt go the last bit. 

Fingers crossed for this weekend thanks to the kindness of John Morrison and his famous crane. 

H

Hi Hamish,

you say the box was 1” off the engine plate. This could be the small bronze bearing in the fly-wheel not being aligned with the gb input shaft. Check the bearing bush for burrs etc (assuming it was not replaced and fitted before), and make sure the gb is in line with the engine.

Do you have the 3 studs (instead of bolts) in the top 3 holes? They help with the alignment. And do not forget the 2 centering bolts that have a tight fit.

Cheers,

Waldi

9 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Hamish,

you say the box was 1” off the engine plate. This could be the small bronze bearing in the fly-wheel not being aligned with the gb input shaft. Check the bearing bush for burrs etc (assuming it was not replaced and fitted before), and make sure the gb is in line with the engine.

Do you have the 3 studs (instead of bolts) in the top 3 holes? They help with the alignment. And do not forget the 2 centering bolts that have a tight fit. 

Cheers,

Waldi

No Shouldered bolts on a four pot engine, the fixed dowels do the job.

Hamish you are very welcome,

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

No Shouldered bolts on a four pot engine, the fixed dowels do the job.

Hamish you are very welcome,

John.

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Thanks John,

I got mixed and confused.

Waldi

Very easy to do with my mish mash car. TR3a engine and TR6 box and now clutch. 

Thanks for all the help and support in this practical task. 

Ta

H

ps

sorry for hijacking thread. 

Edited by Hamish
Added ps
  • 3 weeks later...

Hamish,

When I replace a clutch driven plate i dress the edges of the splines with a dremel to create a lead in of a couple of mm. It takes about 1/2 hour to do and makes it much easier to start the gearbox input shaft sliding into place. It doesn't do away with the need for everything to be lined up but it does make it easier to start the engagement. It has no impact on the performance of the clutch.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

Hamish,

When I replace a clutch driven plate i dress the edges of the splines with a dremel to create a lead in of a couple of mm. It takes about 1/2 hour to do and makes it much easier to start the gearbox input shaft sliding into place. It doesn't do away with the need for everything to be lined up but it does make it easier to start the engagement. It has no impact on the performance of the clutch.

Rgds Ian

That sounds a good idea :)