I've literally just done this. You can hide all the joints, it can be tricky to get the screws to engage in panel behind. I mocked them up on the floor to see how it went together and get the folds right. You may find you need to trim or make the odd new hole to get it to sit right. 

I started by putting the light covers on then each side panel followed by the tank panel, keeping each one loose until they are all in. I found the boot lid stay cut wasn't quite right for my car and if you have the Bosch pump in the same place as the original one it can make it difficult to get the panel in right. The side panels fit under the boot seal but only near the light covers as the go towards the tank they tuck under and curve round.

IMG_20181112_164721_791.thumb.jpg.1d417dd0674a9036c60a2c7361e8e2ea.jpg

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Hi

If you had fitted a new pump I was going to suggest fitting a carburettor liner if you had moved the fuel pump to give you more space, but sounds like that might not be an option! Also,  use a cut-out from the old boot carpet to go over the exposed wheel arch. The other suggestion is to fit some SilentCoat / DynaMat over the wheel arches, on the fuel tank and on the inner wing panels to reduce noise before you fit the new trim.

If you want I  can send more pictures - just PM me.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1640.JPG

Edited by SteveB21
33 minutes ago, joinathanbrooks said:

Is the car Conifer green?

I believe it to be, but it's not the original colour (signal red). Good luck with the installation. 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips regarding extra carpet pieces laid in as they do look good.

I re-glued "foamy" strips, that was originally glued to the tank, back on although had not thought of the wings. Mind you with a sports exhaust it is so noisy anyway (great going through towns and villages with buildings close to the roadside)!

Many thanks to both of you for your assistance as near side rear and side panel now in place although the fitting kit has horrible large silver washers; I might get round to blackening them later.

Kind regards Jonathan.

Depends how far down the 'originality' route you want to go Jonathan, so many owners incorrectly fit the back-board i.e it should be tucked behind the metal brace and screwed into place as shown below - to be honest it's a bit of a phaff, but correct:

23622406_10210862004761360_8771329565597

Black felt type material is glued to the N/S wheel arch on the exposed painted area (ignore the painted washer that's another story):

23622028_10210861996841162_2246051365360

Cheers, Andrew

I could get one side fitted correctly but not the other side so to make it look even and not distorted, although not strictly correct I've mounted over the little tab and just secured the screws to the panel alone, with the carpet I can't see any of that anyway. 

Gareth

1 hour ago, joinathanbrooks said:

Looks same colour as mine that is Conifer green. Car was originally Laurel green but that was so "insipid" I went for the darker Conifer colour. When purchased (basket case with a lot in boxes) mine was red, and at some points in time blue, brown and from "memory" cream.

Any pictures of it? I'm still not sure I like the green although the more I do to it the more I like the contrast between the black and the green colour...it's growing on me :)

Gareth

Here's one of mine:IMG_20181105_221210_273.thumb.jpg.e51f06526798dd8a32eedda42769f276.jpg

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Nice looking cars guys.

Nearly there and tucking tank board behind brackets because without doing this the board covering the spare tyre is very tight and if needed would be hard to get out. I have original steel wheels with old tyres on. Looking to have wheels enameled in original colour and new tyres next year. To be honest there is no wear on tyres just old and cheap as last 20 years have been more about young family. Will post pics when done although might wait until refurbed hardtop is on. I am still undecided regarding chrome strips on seals although I do have a good pair.

Will finish tomorrow.

1579668427_bootnearly.thumb.jpg.b66e0aacef00472ecedbc8710c0db5bf.jpg

That's looking really good. I don't have the original spare wheel cover so mine works the way I had to do it. 

I'm putting the steels back on mine early next year. Not sure about the chrome strip, more often the sills are painted body colour as are mine, the chrome strip would obviously had been the line where the black would have been up to hidden by the chrome, do you not have the holes to attach the strip? 

Gareth

8 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Black felt type material is glued to the N/S wheel arch on the exposed painted area (ignore the painted washer that's another story):

23622028_10210861996841162_2246051365360

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew is this how an original 6 would have been with the felt over the exposed corner? 

Cheers

Gareth 

1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Andrew is this how an original 6 would have been with the felt over the exposed corner? 

Cheers

Gareth 

Yes Gareth, it finishes off the boot area nicely and stops any exposed paintwork getting scratched to death, particularly if a lot of touring is being done - must fit it to VUX.

Cheers, Andrew