Doorcard Fitting

Hi I wonder if someone could give some help or advice.

I've recently bought 1972 TR6 which had exterior restored some years ago but interior needed revamping, which I thought that it would be something for me to do (I'm a complete novice but quite practical).

Bought the Moss interior kit in sale and the relevant fixings.

I thought I'd start on the door cards as I thought they would be the easiest.

I thought that the lining up of the clips to the holes would have been difficult therefore I made a card template of the door with the position of the holes.  

However I still can't get the clips to either line up,  push into the holes or stay in the holes.  The clips appear to need to be longer.

I don't want to wreck the new door card by forcing it (or even by throwing it across the garage),  therefore after 3 hours this plea to the tr6 forum.

I can't be the only person to fit door cards therefore does anyone have any tips?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

The clips are never very easy to fit, some of the repro ones need easing open to get to fit as the card is often thicker than original and not as hard also the holes sometimes need opening out to get the clip to go far enough to meet the hole and also the beading gets in the way and needs subtle shaving on the rear with a razor to get the clip to go over it. Take your time and you will get there but it needs a ;lot of patience.

Stuart.

Hi Michael,

welcome to the forum.

Can't add any more that Stuarts reply.

However I think you will do OK. You actually resisted throwing it across the garage.  Well done.

Where abouts are you.

Consider popping into your nearest group and ask questions. 

Roger

Hi

Slapped in a few self tappers and never looked back and look great too.  Got a few nice period looking ones from Woolies nr Peterborough.  I constantly had the bloody clips popping out and me driving with a knee against the door as holes were work I guess over years.

Rich