Boot Lid Woes

Hi Folks,

the boot lid on the white 4A is showing signs of the dreaded rusticulation.

Last year I was given a lid that had a few signs of damage. The handle hole was buckled as if the handle was wrenched upwards..

Otherwise it looked reasonable for repair.

Last week I measured and measured again before cutting the rusty bottom off. The problem with measuring is measuring the right bits. !!!

I temporarily fitted the repair panel that I had knocked up the week before. and this looked good  when sat in position.

The corners were a little sticky outy. This was sorted by pulling them into place and putting a dob of weld to hold  the shape.

When I then put the lid in place on the car I found the lid no longer fitted.

With the repair panel positioned to give a nice shape to the profile I found the bottom of the lid to be a good 20mm  too far forward.

Thus it would not clear the rubber seal on the bottom lip of the boot cut-out.

Using CAD technology (Cardboard Aided Design) I found that the vertical portion (where the number plate goes) of the lid was in fact pushed forward as if it had been shunted from behind.

The actual skin looks pretty good so I suspect it is the thicker side ribs that are holding the shape wrong.

Tomorrow I shall start to make some new side ribs

When I removed the paint before the repair I noticed there was quite a lot of filler around the handle area. Now I know why !!!

And on top of that my expensive bird feeding station (metal pole with dangly bits)  fell over under the weight of the peanuts etc.

It is powder coated mild steel. It is 2 years old and rotten under the paint.  next spring I shall refurb it as it should have been before I bought it.

Roger

Roger

Have you not got a metal shrinker/expander - if you have the latter, use it on curved edge to expand it, and the bottom of the boot should move backwards, shouldn't it, or have I misunderstood your issue?!

cheers

Rich 

8 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Roger

Have you not got a metal shrinker/expander - if you have the latter, use it on curved edge to expand it, and the bottom of the boot should move backwards, shouldn't it, or have I misunderstood your issue?!

cheers

Rich 

Hi Rich,

You are correct.  However it will give me a good reason to remove the stiffeners/reinforcing as there is rust underneath.

Easy enough to make new stiffeners/reinforcing   

Hi John,

i do have other things to do - eg. bird feeder stations.

Roger

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

You are correct.  However it will give me a good reason to remove the stiffeners/reinforcing as there is rust underneath.

Hi John,

Roger

Roger

Roger,

I have sent you a PM.

Graham

Your bird feeder collapse just illustrates neatly the problem of rot getting under powder coating.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I think it exactly explains the problem with powder coating.

The corrosion gets under neath the coating and can't be seen until it is to late.

The manufacturers of these goods wouldn't use it if it was more expensive than paint of galvanising.

Roger

Hi Folks,

just removed one of the flange stiffeners of the dodgy boot lid and compared it to a know good lid.

See the pic below.  The gap at the arrow is +15mm which compares nice;y when the lid is in situ and the lower boot seal sticks out.

Roger

P1060618a.jpg

18 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

Hi John,

Roger

Roger

Replace the grotty bit with a bit of exhaust pipe?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Size-Repair-Section-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Pipe-Tube-Expanded-Swaged-Fit-/352192809933

Peter W

Hi Folks,

good news. I have removed the side flange stiffeners and the skin has sprung back to its correct shape (ish).

I've ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm zintec plates mild steel.  Should be fun sticking it all back together.

Roger

4 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

good news. I have removed the side flange stiffeners and the skin has sprung back to its correct shape (ish).

I've ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm zintec plates mild steel.  Should be fun sticking it all back together.

Roger

Treat yourself to a spot welder Roger.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I bought a spot welder three years ago when I was doing the nearside sill.  Had to rewire the whole house to get the amps into the workshop. (changed a CB to a c grade)

The side flanges of the lid now have so many holes that a spotwelder would have trouble finding somewhere to sit.

I can use it on the repair panel. 

Roger