which tool sizes?

There are a few odd sizes still; I had to run about looking for UNC items for the thermostat housing on the manifold of my 1980 DHC... it's left me very suspicious that there are some mix and match dotted about the car.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:49 PM, DaveR said:

I have an original low mileage 1980 DHC and agree with Ulster TR7, Colin. It seems to be what was in the parts bin. I guess it all should have been metric, but not all was.

Dave

It's left me quite wary, especially when trying to retap threads and I'm not sure what species of tap to actually use... I have both metric and UNF taps and dies, but even fitting a replacement bolt on this or that component becomes a trial until you find that the threads you've selected is actually correct. Just one of the joys of Triumph ownership!

Thanks Jose - I've found those pages on the manual and it appears the engine is all either UNF or UNC and the body / suspension etc is metric.

Re ChippyMike - if you expect the unexpected, doesn't that mean it's no longer unexpected?  :)

Edited by UlsterTR7
  • 5 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, TR8IAN said:

All the TR7s and 8s had Metric bolts.

Cheers

ian

Except for the engine stuff which is Imperial, UNF and UNC

I've found af sizes on calipers and metric on the both master cylinders. the clutch slave was metric but the thread is so far unknown, but not metric