brake master cylinder

Is there a way to recognise the faulty batch of master cylinders from the past FAULTY batch.

I have been asked by a member who purchased a new one 2 to 3 years ago and just fitted whilst recomissioning a car that has been off the road for nearly 30 years.Purchased when 2 years old and he only coverd 2000 miles. Would not want to see it lost if faulty.[ OR HIM ]

Roy

Roy

I have had two of the things give up on me, the 1st lasted 6 months and gave up the ghost shortly after I changed the rear wheel cylinders. I suspect it had worn a ridge in the bore and with the different stroke the seal was crossing the ridge which caused the failure.

I replaced the MC with another new one which I was assured was from a different manufacturer and were much better, this one started leaking this Summer after 2 years of use, absolute rubbish. 

I have now dug out my original MC of 1972 vintage and had Past Parts recondition it, I should add I have used Past Parts for a T type MG I used to own with no issues apart from the car will be off the road for a few week. Needless to say I will never trust one of these aftermarket master cylinders again and would not recommend anyone else to.

George

I've seen several fluid reservoir leaking at their junction with the master cylinder, that's easy to confuse with a leaking "piston" seal, as the fluid follow the same route.

Hi Chris

I agree the the reservoir is a source of leaking with new master cylinders, the 1st one I fitted leaked from day one so I used the reservoir that came with the car in 72. I then used it on the 2nd new MC without problem, and it is now doing service on the reconditioned MC.

I think if I can see a original reservoir at a auto jumble I will pick one up to keep on the shelf

George

Not that I know off. Thats why I would recomend getting an original rebuilt by a reputable company, the cost is about the same as a new suspect part

George

And Roy using capital text is considered shouting, I know we are all old pharts but we are not deaf?