Recommended Twist Drills

I have recently used a Screwfix Dewalt Cobalt drill, stock number 2291V.  7.5mm but they do others in this series. 

Excellent drill with special pilot meant no need to centre punch and it worked Also hex shank. I used it to drill out spot welds and found it very long lasting. Still going strong after doing one whole floor/sills of a TR4A restoration. Although described as Cobalt HSS I found it significantly better than the so called special 8mm cobalt drills that are sold for spot weld removal. 

David B

Most locking wheel nuts are case hardened so a Dremel fitted with a grinding stone may be needed to take the hard skin off before attacking it with a drill. 

Ive had good results in the past by finding a spare bi hex socket a size under the one which will fit over the nut and smashing it onto the nut with a big hammer.  By the time the socket has been forced over the nut the impacts will have helped free off the nut and a 1/2” drive “persuading” bar should spin it off. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Edited by Drewmotty

Hi John,

these are good drills (see pic below)

They are available as righthand, lefthand and straight fluted all in ONE drill.   Very handy if you are not sure what to do.

Roger

P1020633a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

To paraphrase an old non-PC couplet:

"Twist-drills out of old Hong-Kong, all too frequently go wrong.........."

The easiest way to make your own “Roger drill bit” is to buy a normal drill bit from the pound shop, drill a hole in some very tough concrete (With hammer action and pushing as hard as you can until the drill bit binds solid) and then switch the drill to reverse.

I’ve made several when putting up curtain poles.

Charlie.

What is that Roger?

I think the question should be -  What was that Roger?!

Hi Folks,

not sure where my multi-fluted drill came from. recommendation - DO NOT BUY CHEAP drills.

Most of the big names are good - Dormer, Irwin etc.

The above drill 'picked up' in a piece of sheet steel. before I could turn the power off I had produced a work of art.

I see from Stan's pic that the USA produce lefthand liquorice sticks.  What do we get in the UK?

Roger

On 11/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, John Morrison said:

Thanks Guys,

I've ordered the Irwin Ones,

apparently I'm prime with Amazon now?

John.

If you're not very careful they sign you up to a "free trial" of Prime, so you might want to cancel that membership before they start charging you.

Pete