Rear Suspension Location

Noticing a click from the rear suspension when reversing my car, I looked at the linkages and radius arm locations.  The locating hole on the nearside bracket on the body has worn oval in shape, has this been experienced by other members and what is the solution? 

My initial thoughts are to weld a suitable washer in place to reinforce the bracket and provide a circular hole.

A few years ago I had a similar problem with the front suspension of my GT6. The holes in the outer end of the lower wishbone had worn oval, where the trunnion bolt passes through. I welded in thick washers then fitted a longer through bolt, long enough that the Nyloc nut had sufficient thread to grip on. I discussed this repair with my MoT tester and he was perfectly happy with it.

So a similar fix should work for the rear suspension of your '7, as you have suggested.

Nigel

On 11/8/2018 at 9:50 AM, Slantfour said:

Noticing a click from the rear suspension when reversing my car, I looked at the linkages and radius arm locations.  The locating hole on the nearside bracket on the body has worn oval in shape, has this been experienced by other members and what is the solution? 

My initial thoughts are to weld a suitable washer in place to reinforce the bracket and provide a circular hole.

Yes that is an issue I came across some years ago on a Dolomite (same sort of axle location).  As you say ' weld a suitable washer in place to reinforce the bracket and provide a circular hole' is just what I did.  As Nigel has stated, you must check the bolts will be long enough once the washers are fitted, so the nyloc is in safety.  Check all the mount holes while you are there in case others are going the same way.  Will you be re bushing the location arms?  That I found to be a significant improvement to handling over the worn out items.  The only slow part of the job was gettng the old bushes out and cleaning up their location holes in the arms.

Peter W

• 1 month later...

IOt's a littl;e cold outside so yet to look at the Triumph.  The bushes are Superflex Polyurethane so I was going to retain them